Sunday, January 15, 2012

Swoon-a-Long Week 1

I've had the Swoon pattern and these mostly-Meadowsweet fabrics for it for about six months now.  The Swoon-a-Long hosted by Katy kicked me into gear to make my version.
These are the two FQs I chose for my first block.
 And here it is...and I only had to rip out 2 or 3 times.   I'm on a mission to have no rip outs on my next block!
I looked at my post about the pattern and fabrics from back in July and noticed I was planning on using Moda Bella Gray for the background.  Oops, guess I forgot, because I'm using Kona snow.  I really need to put notes on my patterns!  Guess I'll have to use the Moda Bella Gray for something else.

If you are using FQs, you really need to be careful in your cutting as Camille suggests in the pattern.  There isn't a whole lot of room for error.  Some of my green geese rectangles I had to fudge because they were a little shy of the 6.5" rectangle needed - and I thought I was very careful in my cutting!  It all worked in the end though. 

This Swoon-A-Long thing is on fire!  Last time I looked, the Flickr group had 428 members.  I'm in good company!

Next up in the quilt-a-long marathon - my first Dresden plate!

9 comments:

Quilter Kathy said...

Beautiful block...love it!

Tricia said...

Nice block!! I Really want to join this quilt along but have so much else on my plate right now. I can't wait to see the rest of your blocks!

Lynn said...

Oh my! I love the fabrics you've chosen! I may to give in and get this pattern the blocks I'm seeing are all so pretty.

Becky M said...

Love those fabrics! The colors are gorgeous! btw - rsvp'd that I'll be at the meeting. So I hope to see you there!

Pat said...

I downloaded that Swoon pattern! I don't think I will do the Swoon-along, because I just have too many other projects right now, but might work it in here and there. Those blocks are quite large, so I bet the piecing goes fast. Love those fabrics -- very fresh.

carol fun said...

Very pretty! Good luck reducing the rip out. I've made this block over a dozen times and I still have problems with some intersections - oh well - try try again!

Diane said...

Oh I love your fabrics-will enjoy watching this swoon along.
I've gotten no further in the dresden plate than saying I was doing it...perhaps next week. :)

Pat said...

Lordy, you are evil! Ever since your post, I have seen Swoon blocks in my head. Have have soooo much other stuff to do, but am going to do one (JUST ONE) Swoon block today to see how it turns out.

Lynn said...

I'm in! I bought the pattern today. Now I just need to pick some fabric.