Friday, January 13, 2012

Bargello Quilt-A-Long Week 1

I've been toying with the idea of making a bargello quilt for years.  Then when I saw Andrew's amazing bargello quilt last year (I think it was something like his 3rd or 4th quilt, which makes it even more amazing), I was even more anxious to make one.  When I saw that Katie was hosting the Bargello Place Mat/Tablerunner quilt-a-long I knew it was time to get my feet wet.  If I decide it's not too hard, I'll go for a larger quilt.

So, here we go.

First - choosing the fabrics.  The placemat calls for 1/4 yard of of 6 fabrics.   I pulled out this bundle I bought years ago and chose my 6 from it...
First, I sorted them this way...

 Then, I pulled out my ruby beholder to check that the order went from lightest to darkest...

I found the orange actually read lighter than the yellow and gold...

Then, I decided I didn't like the orange in there at all and swapped it out for a brown fabric instead
I sewed them all together in order and then sewed the long ends together to make the tube...
And there we are, all caught up on week 1.

Next up, my first Swoon block is done!

4 comments:

Diane said...

Your colors are wonderful. Bargello's are amazing. have fun.

Denise Copeland said...

I hope you have fun, too.

In the event that you play around with more fabric or if you have any more doubts about value, here are three other ways to determine the relative value of a fabric. The first is to copy them - make a copy with your printer/scanner/copier of the fabrics laying next to one another. The black and white copy will represent the values without the color. Another way to isolate value is to go into a very dark room without a window with your fabric. Wait about ten minutes - now look at your fabric and put it in order in terms of value (while you are in the dark room). You’ve just optimized the rods and cones in your eyes so that you are just seeing value, not color. I find that fabrics with patterns - like florals with a black background can be particularly tricky to figure out where they belong in a sequence. When I emerge from a dark room with my fabrics I am always surprised at the sequence that I determined in the dark.
The third way is to stand away from the fabric and squint at it.

Becky M said...

Oh yay! Good for you. That's going to be great. I'm still too scared of bargellos! But thanks to you I started my Dresden today.

Barb said...

Love your fabrics!!