Thursday, January 19, 2012

Scrappy Dresden Plate Quilt-A-Long Week One

After getting started on my Dresden Plate for Anne Sutton's quilt-a-along, I'm not sure I can say I'm doing a "scrappy" Dresden Plate.  I'm only using 8 fabrics for the plates.  But I've had my EZ Dresden Ruler...
And my yummy Flower Sugar fabrics by Lecien for a while now...

Here are my plates pieces all cut and ready to go...
And the pieces stitched at the top to make the "spokes" (I guess that's what you call them)...
I was surprised at how quickly my plate went together...
This is what I'm using for the background and the center will be the red fabric shown at the top of the stack in the first photo.

I'm still deciding whether to hand or machine applique these down.  I'm leaning towards hand applique right now, but I'll probably do half of one and change my mind - LOL!  Besides, I've just gotten myself involved in a huge embroidery project, so that's probably enough hand work for a while.  More to come on that!

8 comments:

Thelma said...

Oh how I wish I had time for this quilt-a-long, this pattern is on my To Do list. I'm going to enjoy watching your progress. Maybe I'll be able to jump in later on down the road. I think the blocks that are hand appliqued down looks so much nicer, I'll be eager to see what you decide. I just love it!

Diane said...

I finally got my ruler! I've changed my mind about the fabrics 3 or 4 times.

Linda in Calif. said...

I love your fabric! Beautiful Dresden plates.

Becky M said...

wohoo! love your fabrics. I adore that polka dot for the background. I was just thinking about background and center fabrics today. I totally jumped into my fabrics without thinking about it. whoops. Your plate came out beautifully! 11 more to go...

carol fun said...

Cute cute cute! Love the plates with that background fabric - this is going to be one happy quilt!

Gretchen said...

Oooh! I love the fabric and the Dresden Plate! They look like they belong together!

Kate said...

Love your Dresdan plate! Very pretty.

Kallie said...

Hello Denise, This is Kallie from A Quilting We Will Go. Thanks for following my blog. I can't wait to see how your Dresden plate comes out. I am in total love with the cute polka dot print for the centre!