Wednesday, May 30, 2012

May Schnibble of the Month - Doc!

The May Schnibble of the Month was Doc.  I don't remember why Carrie calls it Doc, but it's a card trick block.  And it was lots of fun!  I started out with two charm packs of Martinique and made lots of HSTs...
I cut the red charms for the corner stones and used Moda Bella Snow for the background.
Here are my first blocks...you have to lay the blocks out carefully by your machine (not a lot of chain-piecing on this one!) and make them one at a time.  Not hard, you just need to be focused.  And (unusual for me) I didn't mis-sew any of the blocks!
And here is Doc quilted and bound.
You can't really see the quilting, but I used a new pantograph called Cloudy Skies by Meadow Lyon Designs that I picked up at MQX last month.  It was super quick to do.  I also used a creamy white Fil-Tec Glide Thread bought at MQX last month.  This is the second time I used Glide and I sure wish I had bought more of it..  I had as good an experience as the first time I used it.  Tension was perfect and it looks great and the thread didn't break once.
I used this piece I had in my stash for the back ...
And I pulled two pinks from a FQ bundle of Martinique I have to do the binding. 
And, I'm in just under the deadline!  Check out Sherry and Sinta's blogs on June 1st to see lots of other Docs in the Parade of Schnibbles (and I've seen some really cool ones around the blogs so far)!!

Quilt Stats:
Pattern - Doc Schnibble by Carrie Nelson
Size:  42"x42"
Fabrics - Martinique by 3 Sisters and Moda Bella Snow
Started:  5/21/2012  Finished 5/28/2012

13 comments:

Karin said...

Love it! I bought the pattern (my first Schnibbles pattern), but I never got around to even choosing fabrics! May is just busy busy, and June and July are even busier, so not sure when I'll get around to it! Card trick is one of my favorite block patterns though, so it will be soon I hope!

Diane said...

oh that's so pretty! I think I've done a card trick or variation of one-it's been a while.

Sinta Renee said...

It is such a fun pattern and your fabrics are a perfect choice for it. It is just beautiful!

Sherri said...

It's so gorgeous! Love it!

Susie Q said...

I Denise, love the quilt. I love Carrie's quilts. I made one for the first time in April and can't wait to have a go at another. It is on my "To Do" list. Susie x

FarahLin said...

Very pretty! Love the colours and your quilting is beautiful as always! =)

Kigwit said...

It looks great! I love the fabric you chose.

Grit said...

Ein wunderschöner Quilt. So beautiful.
Liebe Grüße Grit

Ivory Spring said...

Awwww -- that is such a soft and sweet quilt!

Becky said...

Loved seeing your photos of the steps in this quilt. It is lovely!

Michele said...

Your Doc is lovely! Such sweet fabrics :-) I like how you showed your progress on the quilt in the post. Beautiful!

Nicole said...

I have my backing and batting all set to start quilting my Doc. I love quilting these smaller projects on my Bernina. The big ones I send out to the professionals, but I enjoy trying my hand at the Schnibbles and actually getting to use them in a reasonable period of time.

Sharon B said...

I LOVE THIS! I have seen it around blog land and need to track down this pattern.

I came over from Find a Friend Friday and now am a follower.

Would love to have you stop by my blog - it is the Story Quilt link

Hugs Sharon B