Saturday, May 19, 2012

Blogger's Quilt Festival

Since I can't be at Quilt Market (but I am vicariously living it through the tweets, blog posts and Facebook updates of those who are there!), I will participate in the wonderful Blogger's Quilt Festival that Amy from Amy's Creative Side puts on twice a year.

I thought back on quilts I've made recently and chose my Central Park Postage Stamp quilt to feature.  I think this might have been the most fun I ever had making a quilt.  Seriously.  I don't know what it was - the fabric itself, how the quilt was coming out, the process or what...but making  this quilt was a blast!


The impetus for this quilt was seeing my friend Becky's version during a guild sewing day.  I had followed Rachel Griffith's (P.S. I QuiltPostage-Stamp-Quilt-a-Long on her blog but didn't jump in until I saw Becky's quilt.  It wasn't long before I went out and bought my own jelly rolls of Kate Spain's Central Park (one of my all-time-favorite lines - see my Central Park:  A Love Story post from last year) and Moda Bella Snow.  It took some figuring how to take Rachel's instructions for a scrappy quilt and make my quilt with one print per row like Becky's - I loved the way the color cascaded down the quilt.  Hubby and I spent a long time with the rows spread out on the living room floor rearranging them to make sure they were in exactly right order (and then decided after it was sewn together, one of the rows was probably in the wrong place.  But, I don't care, it's all subjective.  And it was sewn together and things have to be really, really bad for me to unpick - LOL!) 

I finished the quilt top in two weeks and quilted it with the Daisy Swirl pantograph...

I was thrilled when I took the quilt out of the dryer and was able to snuggle in it's crinkly, quilty goodness!
It's almost summer right?  I think it's time to pull this quilt out storage for the season!

Check out Amy's blog for all of the other Blogger's Quilt Festival entries!

18 comments:

Kristin said...

This quilt is amazing!

carol fun said...

I LOVE this quilt! Simple pattern but the play of fabric takes it to another level. Thank you for the inspiration -I can't wait to make one like this for me.

CitricSugar said...

Very pretty. Love the quilting.

Becky M said...

Yay! I love this quilt! I like the way you quilted it. And don't feel bad, I feel like some of my rows are in the wrong place too. :)

Beth said...

Lovely! I like the one print per row - what a cool effect.

FarahLin said...

It is stunning! Love the graded colours and your daisy swirl quilting gives it a gorgeous finish! Beautiful backing too. Great work, Denise.! Adding this to my Must Make list - thanks for the inspiration =)

Lisa Ann said...

I love these fabrics for this postage stamp quilt! Very pretty!

harleywife57 said...

you did a wonderful job ! I love postage stamp quilts and LOVE Central Park !

Margaret said...

I so love this quilt!

Check out my blog if you can...

Margaret Gunn
www.quiltsoflove.blogspot.com

Karen said...

A great quilt for the festival. It works so well with the fabrics you chose.

Marg said...

It looks fabulous. Love the layout.

Linda at Roscoe's Ma said...

The fun you had making this quilt shines through. It is a wonderful quilt!

charlotte said...

very pretty. how big is it? i have long wanted to do one of these and i have a summersville jelly roll...hmmm....

Karin said...

I love love love this quilt Denise! I think I have a jelly roll of central park - I would love to make one like this! Any tips you want to share to make it quick/easy to assemble like this? Or did you cut the strips into 2.5'' squares?

Anne said...

What a great quilt. Thanks for inspiring me. I've had a sketch for a checkerboard quilt in my sketchbook for a long time. Time to get those little pieces cut and sewn.

rubyslipperz said...

You won Mystery Monday...5 fat quarters...over at my blog, last week. But, I've not heard back from you???

hugZ,
annie

Salamanda's Scrappy Adventures said...

Great quilt and quilting

Eileen said...

lovely! so nicely done and love the progression. thanks for sharing and have a great day