Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Dresden Plate Top done!

I finally finished my first Dresden Plate quilt (there will be more!), started with Bunny Hill's Dresden Plate quilt-a-long.  It was not without a few mishaps though.

This photo does not show contrast very well, but here it is...
The fabrics in this quilt are all from an older Flower Sugar line by Lecien that I originally purchased a couple of years ago.  First issue was when I realized I ran out of background fabrics for the plates, I went scrambling for more.  While I did find it, my friend just informed me (while looking at the finished quilt), that the fabrics are not identical.  I don't know whether it was the first or second purchase that has WAY more dots....see....
Didn't notice that - probably still wouldn't have noticed until she pointed it out to me.  She suggested I could take the quilt apart and re-sew them in a checkerboard to make it look like I meant to do that.  Ummm, nope.

So, I'm putting my rows together and I could not eek out enough of the red sashing fabric for the last row.  I was four strips short.  I looked on-line for more.  No luck.  This is a problem with a capital "P"!!  I put a scrap in my purse and just hoped I would find something similar enough to work on my quilt shop/show travels someday and folded up the quilt and the remaining blocks and put it away.  Then, on a whim, I checked on eBay to see if maybe, just maybe, I could find some (I know I looked on eBay before).  I could not believe it, but the Unique Fabric Palette had some!  If I could, I would have kissed that shop owner!

So, the Dresden Plate quilt saga is just about finished.  I just hope I have enough of the red fabric left over for the binding  o:)

12 comments:

Darlene said...

It's beautiful and worth all the angst. :-)

Karin said...

Whew! Crisis averted by ebay :) Yayy :) It's beautiful!!!!!!!!

Linda at Roscoe's Ma said...

I love this Lecien fabric collection. Glad you found more. I wouldn't think twice about the dots being different and unplanned. It adds to the charm of the quilt. Great quilt!

Linda at Roscoe's Ma said...

I love this Lecien fabric collection. Glad you found more. I wouldn't think twice about the dots being different and unplanned. It adds to the charm of the quilt. Great quilt!

Becky M said...

Yay! It looks fantastic! So glad you found the fabrics you needed. It looks great.

FarahLin said...

WOW! Your dresden plate quilt is sooo pretty... Can't wait to see it finished!

Gretchen said...

Very bright and happy quilt! The dots difference is not really noticeable and matchy matchy is overrated anyway!

Kristin said...

this is GORGEOUS!

Michele said...

I like the blocks with the extra dots mixed with the others! In fact, you've inspired me to try something like that in a future quilt. Just a few blocks with a a slightly different background.....hmmm.....sounds great to me! Thanks for the inspiration :-)

Karen said...

I love the way these look! Your quilt is great. I a so pleased that you were able to find some fabric. How lucky!!!

Ivory Spring said...

Denise,

I absolutely love your Dresdens - they look so happy and carefree.

Thanks for stopping by. It's always lovely to hear from you.

More Than A Mom said...

Looks great!

I have been known to big hug or high-five a shop owner for having just what I need ;)

Visiting from Find A Friend Friday (Sew Many Ways blog).