Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Fun with Hexagons

I finally jumped on the Hexagon bandwagon!  I've been wanting to do these for so long and I finally took the plunge.  Here are my first three completed flowers....
I have a fabric plan.  I have no idea how many flowers I'm going to need, I'm just going to keep going until the quilt looks big enough (or until I get bored).  So, I started off by cutting a strip from each of my leftover Hope Valley fabrics.  Once they are done, I'm going to cut strips from each of the Flea Market Fancy prints.  Then, I'll cut into the Central Park leftovers. I think those three lines will look good together and then I'll find other fabrics that look good with them.
And here is my very special Hexagon box hubbie gave me just for this project....
The cigar box is the perfect size to keep all the bits and pieces...
 Turn your head to the side and you can see the papers I am using.  I got these 1" paper templates from Paper Pieces.  They stock just about any size hexagon templates you want (not to mention a ton of other shapes)
 I had bought one of those fancy hexagon rulers to cut out my fabric, but lo and behold, it doesn't cut the size needed for 1" hexagons.  Figures.  So, what to do, what to do.  What I wasn't going to do was cut them by hand and I didn't want to use squares.  So, after some trial and error with the strip size I needed, I found that a 2-1/2" strip of fabric would give me a generous sized piece of fabric to work with.

I folded the strip wrong sides together and used my 60 degree ruler.  I lined up the 2-1/2" mark on the bottom of the strip like so....
 Then just two cuts with the rotary cutter - one up and one down and I had my shape! 
And the crease makes it easy to line up the paper template.
I punched a hole in each of the templates so I could anchor them to the fabric for basting.

These hexies are Too.  Much.  Fun!!!

11 comments:

Anna said...

Denise - thanks for posting the instructions for how you cut your fabric! I was just wondering how you did this. I looked at my Sizzix hexie templates and one of them would give me 1/4" extra fabric on every side of the smaller hexie. Do you think that is enough or do you have more fabric for your seam allowance?

Diane said...

love how you cut your fabric-that will be a real time saver if I ever get my hexies out again....
they are addicting, and I love your storage box for them.

Lynn said...

So far I have resisted the hexie bandwagon. Yours are very cute and tempting!

Linda in Calif. said...

Okay I've been tempted to do hexies before - but seeing you start and especially seeing how you cut the fabric, I'm really being tempted. Plus you are using some of my favorite fabric lines.

Becky M said...

Oh look out, these are so addicting! Very clever cutting. I was lazy and used squares, lol.

FarahLin said...

Hi Denise - your hexie flowers look so pretty! I'm sure they'll look gorgeous with those prints you've mentioned.

I wanted you to know that I've nominated you for the Liebster award - find the details on my blog http://handmadebyfarahlin.blogspot.com/2012/05/vote-for-me-and-liebster-award.html

Kat said...

What a coincidence, I just broke down and made my first hexies this week, too. I have the very same package of paper templates, too! No idea what I'll do with them when they're done, but I'm having fun with them so far.

I bought a hexi shaped acrylic to cut the fabric, but I am finding it very tedious to cut the fabric that way. I am definitely going to try your method, it looks much faster.

I tried to do a few with a fussy cut center but failed miserably and keeping it in place. Your tip about punching a hole and using a pin is brilliant, just what I needed!!

grammajudyb said...

I've been wanting to try these too. Everybody's doin' it!!! I'm gonna try it. Wish me luck!

Bobbi said...

No need to be precise with the cutting, just enough to have a 1/4" or so seam allowance. I like mine a little more generous and certaily don't obsess over their shape.

Funny to see so many people jumping on hexies. What's old is new again with new fabric choices and layout ideas. (Although some antiques look positively modern!). I love mine and my top is about 1/3 of a full bed size now but I think I'll set it aside for the summer - it's my winter by the fire in front of the tv project!

Shontelle said...

wow - clever way to cut your fabric!

Deb said...

Love your cutting method for hexies.
Now I don't have to dread the cutting
of the fabric. Thanks so much.