Sunday, November 7, 2010

Philly Modern Quilt Guild

I'm very excited to announce that I've joined the Philly Modern Quilt Guild.  The Modern Quilt Guild is a fairly new internet phenomenon that started a few years ago.  There are almost 100 chapters in cities around the world so far and Julie Herman of Jaybird Quilts started the Philly guild early this year.  I went to my first meeting last month.  I immediately felt comfortable with the group of women and men at the meeting - I loved the vibe.  Quilters of all age groups and abilities are involved and I love that.  I wouldn't have said that I'm a "modern" quilter before I learned about the Modern Quilt Guild movement, but maybe I am.  I'm proud to be a member of this exciting group.

There was a challenge presented at the October meeting  (I was sorry not to have joined earlier for the Project Pure challenge - love that fabric line and would have loved to have made something with the Pure line).  This challenge involves 4 Kona Cottons in "holiday" colors - ruby, chocolate, snow and holly.

 Not a great photo but you get the idea.  We received a fat quarter of each and can add  a yard of other fabric(s).

I chose this...


I had an idea right away, and am actually almost finished the top.  I'll reveal after our December meeting when the challenges are due.  This has been a fun project - I just hope it translates as well in fabric as it does in my head!

I'm really sorry I'm going to miss the November meeting - a "famous" quilter member is giving a workshop on applique - I'm can't tell you how bummed I am to not be able to attend.  But, that night is my 25th wedding anniversary and I don't think I can miss that!  o:)

1 comment:

Linda said...

Well Happy Anniversary! 25 years is def a milestone you need to celebrate! I love the fabric you chose to go with the fat quarters. Compliments it well. Can't wait to see the reveal!