Sunday, October 31, 2010

Boo!

Happy Halloween!

I really like Halloween.  I don't know why.  We don't dress up and we don't go to any Halloween parties and we really don't get that many kids (although you'd never know it by the amount of candy my husband buys - and eats - starting in early September - LOL!).  But I like the decorations.  And I love Fall, it's my favorite season.  (And I kind of like eating the candy too).

I asked hubby to be on the lookout for some plastic pumpkins on his Saturday yard-sale rounds, because I thought I could switch the planters on the hooks in our front yard with pumpkins.  Of course, he went overboard and bought all kinds of Halloween decorations besides the pumpkins - like orange lights and skeleton lights and ornamental things, etc., etc.  ... but I think it all looks pretty Halloween-y ...



Oh, look, you can see my ghost trying to photograph the window, in the sun.  Great photo.  Better not quit my day job.

I thought I'd show a few Halloween/Fall things I've made.

I made this Pumpkin Quilt that appeared on the cover of American Patchwork and Quilting two years ago.  It was designed by Avis Shirer of Joined at the Hip.  It was on the cover - as soon as I saw it I knew I had to make it.  It was fun to make and quilt (well, except for all those 1"x2" finished Flying Geese!).  I have it hanging in my office right now and I get so many compliments on it.  I love it....

Here's a close-up...


This Fall wallhanging was made quite a while ago.  This comes from a great little book - Quilts Say It Best by Eileen Westfall from That Patchwork Place.  It's pretty old now, from 1997.  Each wallhanging pattern combines words and sayings with patchwork.  I definitely want to make some more little quilts from this book.


The fabric I found for the "pie crust" was just perfect!  I love when you find just the right fabric.

Here's a teeny little pumpkin quilt that I have hanging on the door in my kitchen.  So far, I have teeny quilts like this for Halloween, St. Paddy's Day and Valentine's Day.


I bought a bunch of Halloween fabric at the PA National Quilt Extravaganza last month (I still need to blog about my haul from that show!) to make a really cool pumpkin quilt I saw somewhere on the internet.  It was made from just squares and half-square triangles and was a huge pumpkin face (kind of like a watercolor quilt, but not quite if that makes any sense).  But, I can't for the life of me remember where I saw it though.  I have my pile of fabric all ready to go and this is one of those things that will bug me if I can't find it again.  I really, really want to make that quilt!

I hope you enjoyed my Halloween roundup.  Don't eat too much candy!  o:)

3 comments:

Darlene said...

I did enjoy your Halloween roundup. :-)

Love your pumpkin quilt - very cute.

Happy Halloween!

Ivory Spring said...

Your fall quilts are pretty!

julieQ said...

I love Halloween too! I love to see all the kiddos having fun in their costumes, I love the candy (too much)...I love to decorate too. I have your quilt from that magazine cut out and on my bulletin board of favorites! Wow, I did not connect that YOU made it...I love that quilt!!!