Friday, October 29, 2010

Blogger's Quilt Festival

I'm excited to participate in Amy's from AmysCreativeSide.com Blogger's Quilt Festival again!

The quilt I'm sharing this time was made for my lovely daughter-in-law, Raqhel, about 3 years ago.  She wanted a quilt for their living room and she asked that it be black, taupe and cream.  I'm a little more colorful than that generally, so this color scheme was a bit out of my comfort zone.  But, I could see where she was coming from based on their living room.  So, I resisted the urge to throw in something wild and keep to this neutral scheme.  I wish I would have bought enough fabric to make two.  I adore this quilt!  It lives on the back of their couch and I love to visit it.

What also makees this quilt a little different for me is that I didn't use a specific printed pattern.  Highly unusual for me (although I'm trying to do more on my own).  I knew what I wanted it to look like and thought these colors might look good done in the Jacob's ladder block.  I thought the "stripey" set would set off the colors well.  I was really happy with the fabrics I chose and the quilt wound up being pretty large (I forget the actual dimensions). 


I thought the striped inner border really set it off well and as you'll see I used the brown for the binding.  I quilted it using the Lace Quilt EZ pattern board.  The quilting doesn't look so great up close and personal in this picture, but the pattern looks great overall on the quilt.


I was thrilled with how it turned out and she loved the quilt (now if I can just get her to start quilting o:) )

If you'd like to see the parade, go to Amy's blog - you'll find lots of cool quilts and blog links!

16 comments:

live a colorful life said...

It's amazing how subtle fabrics can become so striking. Beautiful quilt!

Doris said...

Very pretty...love the fabric choices!

colourdujour said...

This is stunning and I want to make one. Now.

It can be a touchy and tricky business to make things for DILs and to be just right for the decor.

I think you've done it!

ps I like how you go visit her quilt.
and I invite you over to see mine, its black and white, and black and brown.

Michelle said...

What a wonderful quilt! The diagonal stripe design is so striking.

AnnieO said...

I really like diagonal settings and this is really terrific. The limited color choice sure didn't detract from this design--good pattern for it! I agree that the striped sashing adds a lot. How nice to visit a quilt you made--some of mine go so far away I won't see them again. Thanks for sharing your quilt's story :)

Marjorie said...

This is a really stunning setting. I may have to borrow this idea.

Chris said...

It turned out wonderful. The diagonal setting is perfect.

Carol said...

Absolutely gorgeous. Love everything about it :)

Becky said...

Stunning! love all those little squares on a diagonal. The quilting is perfect with it also. Fantastic work.

Allie said...

This is wonderful, very graphic and powerful - love it so much!

Thelma said...

You made the most of the colors you were given to work with, this is simply lovely!

Karen said...

Great quilt, I would have had trouble working with those colours too. I see on your side bar that you have a button for the jelly roll sampler quilt along. How did you go. Mine is waiting for the binding. Are you going to join in the layer cake one too?

Kit Lang said...

Congrats on stepping out of your comfort zone - is so many ways! It was a beautiful result. :)

QuiltSue said...

I love this quilt. If your DIL ever gets fed up with it I would give it a good home!

Vicki said...

great quilt! it can be extra challenging to make a quilt to someone else's specifications, but you did a wonderful job!

Eileen said...

great quilt. not my color scheme either, but you've done such a marvelous job with the request of your family. so nice you can visit it. have a great day and thanks for sharing