Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Holiday Recipe Party!


Karen from the Sew Many Ways blog is hosting a Holiday Recipe Party!  How fun.  I love cooking almost as much as I love quilting (well, maybe it's the eating I love).  I am in the process of developing a family cookbook encompassing all of our families favorites and this recipe will be one at the top!

The recipe doesn't just taste great, it also has a story which is why it's special to us.  It's a dish my husband remembers eating as a child in Scotland.  It was a very close family friend's recipe.

My husband's family moved to the States from the U.K. when he was 11.  My father-in-law, after a long career here, moved back to his homeland of Scotland after he retired in 1989.  We loved to visit as much as we could (sadly, he passed away three years ago).  He moved to about-the-middle-of-nowhere in Aberdeenshire, Strathdon (northeast of Scotland).  Back in 1997, the local hall, the Lonach Hall, put out a "cookery book" to raise funds for its refurbishment.  I fondly recall attending many a raucous Ceilidh at the Hall and was thrilled when my father-in-law sent us a few copies of the Lonach Cookery Book...



Since he gave us only three copies - and you can't get anymore - you must be really special for us to bestow one upon you - so far we've given one to our son - THE (current, anyway) William Wallace (LOLOL!).  And we're still hanging on to the remaining copy for now.  


Besides the book being from an area we love, the illustrations are all done by family friend George Hardie, a wonderful artist who lives in the area.  As my husband was paging through the book he happened upon the recipe from his childhood!  He remembered friends Vi and Sandy (I think almost all men in Scotland are called Sandy regardless of their first names - as was my father-in-law - LOL)  He was so excited and we made the dish straight-away and it was fantastic and now it's one of our family's favorites.  We've updated it a bit (using Panko crumbs instead of breads crumbs, using thin pork cutlets, and using lots more cream than called for because the sauce is so so good), but I'll give you the recipe as written ....

Pan Fried Pork Fillet with Mushroom Sauce
from The Lonach Cookery Book contributed by Sandy & Vi Ponting

1-1/2 lb pork tenderloin fillet
3 slices bread made into crumbs (we use Panko)
1 tbsp chopped parsley
1 beaten egg
oil for frying


For the Sauce:
6 oz button mushrooms (I use Baby Bellas)
1 red onion, chopped
2 oz unsalted butter
1/4 pt double cream (I use a cup or more - and that's heavy or whipping cream for us in the US!)


Trim thin skin, membranes and fat from the fillets.  Cut the meat cross-wise into 2 inch slices.  Turn the slices out onto the cut end and beat out flat between two sheets of greaseproof paper (or just buy the really thin pork cutlets!).  Mix chopped parsley with the breadcrumbs (or Panko).  Dip pork slices in beaten egg then in the crumb mixture.  Set aside while you make the sauce.


Melt butter and a little oil in a frying pan.  Gently fry onion until soft but not brown.  Add mushrooms and fry for a few more minutes.  Season with salt and paper.  Stir in cream and keep warm.


Fry the pork fillet in butter and oil for a few minutes each side until cooked and brown. Allow 2 pieces per serving.  Spoon sauce over. (I actually do it the opposite, I fry the pork fillet and keep them in a warm oven and then made the sauce).


I serve with buttered noodles (to pour all that great sauce over) and green beans with garlic.  Yummy!!

Enjoy!  There are many other great recipes at the Party, so hop on over to Sew Many Ways to whet your appetite!

4 comments:

Linda said...

What a wonderful story! Thanks for sharing! The recipe looks delish! I can't wait to make it! Will keep you posted.

Karen said...

I do love family recipes that have been passed down. What a treasure your cookbook must be.
Your recipe sounds delicious and I like your cooking hints, too.

Gretchen said...

Okay, all I got from this story (sort of) was that you are possibly married to a guy with a kickin' accent.

Anna said...

Gee and here I thought your pork dish was Italian. I make something similar but we add basil, oregano, and parsley to the base sauce. I have not made it in ages so maybe tonight.... thanks for the memories. Family recipes and memories are the best.

NONNIE

.