Saturday, November 13, 2010

The Christmas List

It's the most wonderful time of the year...but it creeps up on you and before you know it, you're scrambling to get all the great gifts you had in your mind finished!  I swore I would not be working on Christmas Eve to finish Christmas gifts this year.  If I'm sewing on Christmas Eve, I want it to be on something fun for me with no deadlines!! 

So, this year, I planned ahead and I think I'll meet my goal of finishing early.  I also have committed to Sandy's (of the Quilting...For the Rest of Us podcast ) challenge to complete 3 holiday gifts by December 15th.  This will help keep me going when I want to start something new instead of working on what I'm supposed to ('cause I sometimes have trouble with that).

I am thrilled to have these two tops finished...two of my long-time work girlfriends and I always go out and have a Christmas lunch with just the three of us and exchange gifts.  The gifts are always holiday-themed.  I have made them handmade gifts in the past and they'll always loved them, but they weren't actual quilts.  I promised each of them that one day they would get a quilt.  Well, one of our gang of three is retiring next year, so this was the Christmas to make them their quilts.  Early in the year I asked each of them what their favorite colors were.  Chris said lavendar and light green.  Sandy said blue and white.  So, these are what I came up with (they don't read my blog, so I don't think I'm letting the "quilts out of the bag" so to speak).  Their gifts won't be Christmas themed, but I don't think they'll mind...

Sandy's blue and white quilt...



Chris's lavender and green - I stressed over this one, didn't know what pattern to make, bought all kinds of lavender and light greens fabrics, but in the end I was really happy with my final decision.


.

I used one of the patterns from this book...



This little lap quilt is for my brother's girlfriend, done in Christmas Fabrics.

 
I love the way this came out.  I used King Tut's Sahara Shadows (it's a goldish toned variegated thread) to quilt it.  I was nervous about how it would look on the dark red fabric, but it looks just great.  This is the third quilt I've quilted with this thread and I've still got enough for probably one more.  (Good thing because that stuff is pricey - ouch!).  It's quilted with the Happy Times pantograph.


I chose this Winter's Grace print by Mark Lipinski for the back.  Love this fabric!

So, that's three.  The Christmas lap quilt only needs the binding, and the other two still need to be quilted and bound.  But, I think I can get that done easily by December 15th.


One other gift I want to make is a wallhanging for my girlfriend using this Frida Kahlo print.  Mary (who also doesn't read my blog - all of these folks I'm talking about here are not quilters) is a wonderful artist and musician and she did an article in a local newsletter about Frida.  When I saw this print in the Keepsake Quilting catalog I knew I had to make something with it for her.  Ideas are still germinating about what do with it though. 


Now, if I get these all finished in time, I can start something Christmas-sy for myself!

4 comments:

Linda said...

You did it! That's awesome 3 quilts before your deadline! Your friends will love those quilts! Corner stone squares aren't always piecer friendly! You did a wonderful job!

Michelle said...

Four lucky ladies!

Susan said...

I'm way behind in listening to Sandy's podcasts, so I didn't even't know about her challenge. However, I just took three quilts (one for each of my children) to the quilter today. If she gets them back to me on the 1st Sunday of December, I'll definitely have all three of them done by the 15th.
Love the lavendar and green quilt--so delicate. I'm also partial to blue and white. Your friends are so lucky to be getting these gifts.

Gretchen said...

OOOOH! Denise, you are so productive! I am encouraged to get right downstairs and work on the church quilt which must be finished before all others.

All of those quilts are absolutely gorgeous.