Tuesday, August 31, 2010

The Final Schnibble!

Talk about getting in just under the wire.  I didn't think I'd be able to get this done by the deadline, but I just (and I mean just) finished the last A Year of Schnibbles Schnibble - my Plan C!!  Woo hoo!


A couple of notes about this quilt.  First of all, when one reads directions, one should actually digest the directions.  I looked at the photo and thought stars and 4-patches...how easy is that!  I did read the directions and then just went on my merry way and made 6 star blocks.  Except the directions clearly say DO NOT PUT STAR BLOCKS TOGETHER, but instead put the quilt together in rows.  After unstitching the six blocks, I put the middle of the quilt together with no problem.  I was glad to learn on someone else's blog that I was not the only one to do this - LOL!

My next problem came when I put the borders on.  As the photo clearly shows and the directions again clearly state, you are to save four 4-patch blocks for the outer corners.  When I got to the end, I realized I had way too many "piano keys" and no fabric left over for the 4-patch corners.  Phooey!  So, I had to go with the piano keys all around.  You can bet if I make this quilt again, I'll have all this down pat.  In fact, I could teach a class!  o:)

Still, I love the quilt - I think the Prayer Flag fabric is really shown off nicely in this quilt.  I have had a lot of fun since I joined this Schnibble club.  And, this won't be my final Schnibble, that's for sure.  There's lots more of these wonderful small quilts to make.


I can't wait to see what hostesses Sherri and Sinta come up with for the next year of ...whatever!

6 comments:

Heather said...

You are so funny, teach a class :D Love it! Your quilt turned out great, that fabric is gorgeous. Good job getting it done on time *high five*

Pat said...

I love Plan C. I started mine, did not fulkly read the directions (super STUPID!!!!!!) and now have separate Star blocks and 4-patches. Cute, but they don't do together without some Plan D futzing, and the result will be a quilt that is too big to be a table-topper Scnibble size, and too small to be of much use for anything. And (continuling in a very whiny voice) I can't find more of the charm packs to re-do the stars. Of course I could always rip........

BTW, I like Prayer Flag a lot. I am thinking about combining 2 charm different charm packs for a future Scnibble, although not sure which ones yet.

Jo said...

Well...you got it finished despite a few snafu's. I did Plan C too. Once I got it sewn together I loved it.

oldbatt said...

That is so funny! I do that too and have to go back and re-read things so I do it according to the directions so it actually works out. It looks great and I love it too! Best, Lisa

Gretchen said...

Gorgeous Schnibble! What size is that finished quilt? I looked at a Schnibbles book but chickened out.

Carrie P. said...

I have done that before too. I should know better. It turned out great. thanks for coming by my blog and taking a trip down Thimbleberries memory lane.