Sunday, September 5, 2010

Charming Girls Club Report

I can't seem to catch up after vacation.  Between work and home I've been swamped since we came back and I realized I hadn't done my Charming Girls Club report for July/August. 

I am relieved to have completed my goal of finished the applique on Lady Madonna!  Woo hoo!  There were lots of pieces to fuse down and the challenge was getting them all even.  I think I did an okay job.  I had to work on my living room floor because I don't have a table big enough to lay it out.  You really need to  be able to see the whole top to make sure things are somewhat even.  Then, I had to transfer it to do the fusing.  Which meant pinning all the pieces down.  I decided to work on my dining room table to do the fusing because even though I have a Big Board ironing board, I really wanted to work with as much of the top showing as possible.  And that worked pretty well.  This part was a major project - it probably took about 3 hours or so to place and fuse all the pieces.  Alot of that was working on the floor - oh, my aching back!


Then, came the task of satin stitching all those pieces.  I normally love machine applique.  But, manhandling the entire quilt top through the machine while doing it was a bear.  And the pieces kept coming up on the parts I wasn't stitching, so I kept having to re-iron.  As I mentioned before, I went with Wonder Under instead of my usual Steam-a-Seam 2 to save money for this large project.  I probably didn't fuse it properly as I'm not used to working with it.  But, it's done and the memory of the pain is receding - LOL.  Now, to quilt it. Not sure what color thread to use.  I can't use all black because it wouldn't look right in the white blocks and white probably wouldn't look right on the black blocks.  So, I'll probably switch back and forth - that's a whole other headache, so this one might sit in the ever growing to-be-quilted pile for awhile.

Part of July/August's goals was Self-Care.  I chose exercise as I really, really needed the motivation.  So how did I do?  Not as well as I would have liked but better than if I hadn't had the goal.  I was able to get in about 15 minutes of weights and leg work most weekday mornings. Unfortunately, cardio was relegated to just weekends.  I just can't seem to get up any earlier to get a good workout in (and I really can't get to bed any earlier - hubby and I are "early retirers" as a friend recently mentioned - I just need a lot of sleep!).  I am still working on that.  So, this will definitely be a continuing goal!

1 comment:

Mary said...

I know it was an awful lot of work, but your quilt is really beautiful. As to your exercise program - you are doing things you hadn't done before and trying. That counts for a lot. I really enjoyed visiting your site today. It has a tone that is most welcoming. I hope you are having a great day. Blessings...Mary