Sunday, August 8, 2010

Gone to the Dogs!

It must be "pet month" around blogland, I've already found two contests involving our furry friends and I just couldn't resist!  First, the wonderful Anne Sutton of Bunny Hill Designs is hosting a pet contest, so I had to submit a photo of Lilly (no, she really didn't drink that beer o:)...

The photo above is just a gratuitous shot because I think she's so stinkin' cute.  Ahhh, puppy love!


Then I found out that SewCalGal is hosting a Pets on Quilts contest.  I'll doing a separate post on my entry for that.  While you can choose to enter a photo of your pet on a quilt or a pet-related quilt, I chose both options in one as you'll see!  Now, the quilt I am entering is a cat quilt, but I have purchased lots of fabrics to make dog quilts, just haven't gotten there yet....here are two stacks of fabrics just waiting for the inspiration to strike to make them into the perfect quilts.  These are just fun....


 And I fell in love with this beautiful toile and coordinating fabrics...


I love seeing quilt models of the canine or feline variety. Every time I put a piece of fabric or a quilt down on the floor, Lilly's right in the middle.  Either just sitting there looking regal or rolling around around on it.  I don't get that, but whatever.  Maybe she really, really likes quilts???  On my unexpected day off the other week, I thought I would use part of the time to get some backs together for a couple of tops and captured this ....


Well, it's now after 7pm on Sunday night and no sewing has gotten done this weekend yet at all. But, it was (or is that, was not) for a good cause.  We just got home today from a day at my aunt's house lounging by the pool, eating great food and enjoying being together (the whole family went, even Lilly who had a ball) .  Yesterday, I did some pro bono work all day with a group called Wills for Heroes Foundation.  I just found out about this wonderful organization the other week from a paralegal association I belong to.  I found out that after 9/11, it was found that many of the first responders who lost their lives did not have wills and this organization was started in response to that need. The organization was hosting an event in our area for police, firefighters, EMTs, and their spouses/significant others to have Wills and Powers of Attorney prepared for them by volunteer attorneys and paralegals who specialize in trusts and estates work.  It was busy, busy yesterday (talk about trial by fire, being so busy and with not quite enough volunteers for the day, it was pretty much "just get started" after our two hours of training for my first time)!  But, so very rewarding.  I got to help a number of really wonderful couples and felt like I made a bit of a difference.  What a wonderful day it was and I am looking forward to my next event - on 9/11 of all days.

1 comment:

Michele said...

Oh, Denise, Lilly is truly adorable. I'm a sucker for a wee dog with a "snarf".....our term for interesting dental issues!!! She looks quite a lot like our beloved Lhasa Apso, Rosie, who lived to be 16, and was a joy. I'm enjoying your blog, and seeing your clamshells, too. Michele