Tuesday, May 11, 2010

May Mayhem - first week's progress

I had a pretty productive first week in the Mayhem in May challenge.  I quilted every day and got three of my "goals" knocked out.  As I already posted, the Aviary quilt is complete (yay!) .  Beach Cottage top is also finished (the colors look washed out in this photo, it's a lot brighter).....

Ta Da!


I decided to bind it in the inner border dark blue fabric and found I was just one strip short.  Well, that called for ordering another yard of that fabric - LOL!  I was surprised that it was so hard to find - only a couple of places had any left.  Whew!  The shop I found it at (Hollyhill Quilt Shoppe - I've ordered from them a few times and have always had a good experience) also had the perfect backing fabric - Sunshine by April Cornell.

Now, I'm even more excited to get this puppy quilted!

Then, I decided to tackle my first Schnibble.  I was all set to do Madeline.  I sat there with all my Rouenneries FQs and yardage and tried to figure out the pattern (which calls for charms packs) using what I had.  After much pondering, I put it all away and went and ordered two charm packs and some of the inner border fabric.  Why cut into that beautiful stash of Rouenneries when you don't have to (someone stop me, please!)  Those charm packs were hard to find too.  I'll tell you, you've got to be quick to snatch up that fabric, or it will be gone, gone, GONE!

Anyway, with Madeline on hold for a while, I decided to do the Reveille Schnibble.  I knew I wanted to use my stash of POSH by Chez Moi (from Moda, of course).  I have a hoard of that line (bought a bunch of FQs for a particular quilt and then found a shop that was having a blow-out sale on the line - 50% off - so I bought a yard of all they had.  So I LOTS of POSH).  Anyway, this pattern was easier to figure out and I made my own "charm pack".  It was a fun little quilt to make.  I'll probably do another (maybe bigger) some time.  Here is the "middle", before I got the borders on:
This Schnibble was not yet a quilt of the month in the Year of Schnibbles contest (that Sinta and Sherri are spearheading) and this month is "choose your own".  So.....I think I just might join in.  Now, I'd be really late to the game if I do (I believe they started in October), but if the Schibbles all this quick to make maybe I can catch up (or maybe I'm just nuts - LOL!)

Mayhem in May - week one
5/1 - 3.5 hours - worked on Aviary top, cross stitch
5/2 - 2.5 hours - completed Aviary top; cross stitch
5/3 - 1.75 hour - worked on putting bordered on Beach Cottage; cross stitch
5/4 - 1 hr - competed Beach Cottage top
5/5 - 1 hr - made binding for Aviary; pondered  Madeline and Rouenneries
5/6 - 1.25 hours - cut out and began piecing Reveille
5/7 - 3 hrs - worked on Reveille
5/8 - 3.5 hrs - finished Reville top

2 comments:

Heather said...

Love your quilt top, it’s so nice! Hollyhill Quilt Shoppe is my LQS, I love that place. :)

Good job sewing every day this week. Schnibbles are so addicting, and a good way to use up stash, it’s been fun for me to do them, you should join!

ivoryspring said...

Beautiful!!!