Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Aviary - Success!

Aviary top is complete!  I love it - and I can't wait to get it quilted.  Except  I need backing.  And I need to get the longarm moved upstairs because it's currently buried where it lives downstairs.  But, the top is done and it's soft and sweet.  And too big, unfortunately, to hang in my office.  I always bring my projects in to show off at the office and I did a quick check when I brought it in to see if it would fit in the space I have and it's a bit too big.  Oh well, guess I'll just have to make something else to put there o:).  As I mentioned I trimmed the geese a bit so all the borders had to be fudged a bit and I'm not so good at that kind of math, so it was a bit of a trial and error (and maybe a bit of anxiety that I would ruin the quilt).  But, I only had to take apart one strip set of the outer geese and trim them down a little and resew so it fit.  Whew!



Now, how to quilt it.  I was thinking about just doing a medium meander in white thread but my quilt buddy at work convinced me it needed more.  So, I'm thinking about it.  Maybe a leafy all-over in the borders and center section and continuous curves in the geese?   I'm not good at this part.  I have a hard time coming up with great quilting designs.  I'll give it some more thought.

I received my "prize" from the Jelly Roll Sampler Quilt Along - a "Pampered Pooch" jelly roll!  The fabrics are so cute...how did she know I liked doggies???  It is a 30s inspired line and I want to find just the right pattern to make with it.  I'm still tickled that I won!!

I've been keeping up with the May Mayhem challenge so far- we're reporting weekly on Mondays with our progress, so I'll post that here too.  Keeps me honest o:)

3 comments:

Heather said...

I love Aviary too, it’s beautiful! My LQS has a big display of it and every time I walk in I want it all… but it doesn’t match a thing in my house so I just drool on it and keep walking haha! The only quilting I have done is stippling a meandering pattern, so feathers and such are beyond me, but they do look really nice too. Good luck deciding :)

ivoryspring said...

Denise,

I love the quilt top! You did a fantastic job. The fabrics are so sweet and soft! Can't wait to see how you are going to quilt it.

Re: Hip Holidays fabrics -- you were serious when you said you want to make that quilt, weren't you? ;)

Rae Ann said...

Your Aviary quilt is beautiful! I can't wait to see how you end up quilting it.
Thanks for stopping by my blog because it helped me find you! I'll be back often:)