Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Show & Tell Tuesday....My Christmas Sewing

This year wasn't a big hand-made gifting year, but I did make a few things.  I also didn't realize until after everything was given away, that I had a big fat
fail in the picture taking department for the most part.  But, I'll show off what I do have (I worked hard on this stuff!)

I decided very early in the year, I wanted to make a set of Christmas placemats for my brother and new sis-in-law.  Here they are pieced.  I quilted them up with the Holly Berries panto with a gold-ish thread and they were beautiful.  Sis-in-law Cathy thought so yo (brother probably did too, but he's not quite as effusive - LOL!)


This was a big finish for me.  Back in July, I blogged about the 12 Days of Christmas cross stitch panels a very special cousin made back in 2002.  She made them as a gift for her daughter and tried a number of times to have people put them into a quilt for her, only to get them back un-sewn each time.  When she found out I quilted she asked my Mom if she thought I'd put them into a quilt for her and dropped off the panels and the fabric she'd purchased during a trip to made to our area this past summer.  It was very important for me to finish this and get it to her to gift to her daughter for this Christmas.  I made my deadline and sent off the package in early December.  I didn't tell her and what a surprise she got when she opened the box.  She called me and said there were tears shed by both her and her daughter when they saw it.  Warmed my heart and I was so happy to have been able to do this for her.  So, here's the really bad photo of the finished quilt right before I carefully boxed it up to send it on it's way (much better photos here)....

I always like to find a little, quick-to-make gift, for holiday giving.  There are alway those that you just want to give a little something to.  Last year it was the tissue cozies.  This year, it was laminated coasters!  I was driving to work the Tuesday before Thanksgiving listening to Pat Sloan's podcast and she was talking to her buddy Roseann, who mentioned she had given a class at her shop to make these laminated coasters and the instructions were on her blog.  I was intrigued, and needed some little gifts to give to some ladies we were lunching with on Saturday, so looked it up as soon as I made it to the office (priorities!)  One of the supplies needed was some iron-on vinyl.   Mmmm, where can I get iron-on vinyl, like, NOW!  I went on the Joanns website and they had it on-line.  I called my local Joanns where I was told that they didn't have any and after discussion among the staff, was told they didn't understand how you can iron vinyl anyway.  I told them that yes, indeed, there was such a product and it was sold on their website.  Obviously, they were not able to be of help (although I DID find some iron-on vinyl there last week when I visited????).  Anyhoo, not to be deterred, because when I get a think in my head, I need to make it happen).  I found I could get some of this elusive iron-on vinyl from Amazon and could get it by Friday if I joined Prime.  Apparently, I could try out this Prime free for 30 days, so I signed myself up and had this precious stuff by Friday!  I found a great panel with these cute Christmas blocks in my Christmas fabric box and I made about 50 of these things!  These were like potato chips, i couldn't stop making them.  Super cute and very well received!  There were about four other different little "scenes", but here are the ones I was able to manage a photo of.

Another important finish on my list this year was a baby quilt for our office Holiday charity.  We give to the "Christmas Store" run by a local women's shelter where women can go and "shop" for gifts for their children.  I had decided last year I wanted to contribute another quilt.  Except forgot until the week before they were coming to pick up all of the gifts.  Yikes!!  I recalled this great one-block Churn Dash quilt from Camille Roskelly's new book, Simply Retro.  Camille to the rescue!  It came out so cute and I think it look 4 hours start to finish!
I used my zig-zag EZ boards to do the quilting....
And all fabric came from stash!

The last of my Christmas sewing was in the form of Snap Happy Bags.  I made four of them...two from some Little Black Dress by Basic Grey fabrics (gorgeous and sophisticated - again, no photos - just imagine!); my favorite which was bright pink and black for my daughter to give as a Pollyanna (still kicking myself I didn't take a photo) and one for my daughter from some Sugar Skull fabric (real Christmas-sy, huh?!) she picked up at Joanns last summer...that, we did get a photo of.  The Snap Happy Bags, which uses 1" metal tape measure pieces for the "snap", are quick to make and hold a lot.  I love them!!


So, that wraps up Christmas 2013!  I'm linking up to Randi's Show & Tell Tuesdays.

3 comments:

Luanne said...

Beautiful as always! And the 12 Days quilt is amazing!!

Karen said...

Looks to me like you came up with quite a few different items for hand made gifts over the year. There are some great ideas.

Susan said...

You were busy! The 12 Days quilt is priceless.