Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Show & Tell Tuesday: Short Story - A Comfort Quilt

I wanted to share this quilt that I finished back in November.  Using the Short Story pattern from Carrie Nelson's Schnibbles Times 2 book, I made the middle of the quilt in the summer of 2012 and then put it aside to tend to more pressing quilt matters.  This was going to be a "just for me" quilt because I love how the pattern and the Sultry by Basic Grey fabrics went together.  It's so bright and girly and cheerful.

In November, I found out my daughter-in-law's step-grandmother (got that?) was battling breast cancer and going through some rough treatments.  I usually see Jacie once or twice a year at DILs' family's get-togethers .  We were even invited to Jacie's (beautiful!) home a couple of times.  I really enjoy her company when we do get together and for some reason or another, it had been about a year since I had seen her and had no idea what she'd been going through for most of 2013.
As soon as I heard the news, I knew I was going to finish this quilt for her.  She's vibrant and fun (my hubby calls her "Sparkles") and I decided she needed this quilt more than I did.  So, I pulled out the box and quickly finished the borders and infused it with loving and healing thoughts while I quilted it.

I pulled this cute and fun fabric from Bunny Hill's Windsor Lane collection from my stash that I'd been hoarding for the backing.

I gave it to my DIL to give to her step-mom to give to Jacie.  I got a lovely note from her telling me how much she appreciated the quilt and the thought and the cheer that it brought her.  I knew I'd made the right decision not to keep this one for myself.

I'm linking up to Randi's Show & Tell Tuesdays.


11 comments:

Karen said...

It is a lovely quilt and it looks great. Such a special gift.

Katie said...

beautiful quilt and wonderful gift

Izzy said...

A wonderful gift! It's beautiful.

Quilting Nonnie said...

What a lovely quilt, so soft and sweet. Sometimes quilts just make themselves for someone else. You're a sweetie to get it to someone who could certainly use it.

Susie Q said...

Its a lovely quilt. I have Carrie's book and looked at making it but as you say I have too many other projects to do first! I hope Sparkles gets better soon. I have been there and know it takes it out of you. Susie x

charlotte said...

Beautiful quilt, Denise and so lovely of you to give it to sparkles. But that's what we do. The quilts tell us where they should live, don't they?

Sandi Colwell said...

It's a really beautiful quilt and I love when we know exactly whom the recipient should be.

Lynn said...

Beautiful quilt and thoughtful gift.

Becky (My Fabric Obsession) said...

Aww! I don't think I knew the story behind this one. although my brain is a sieve and i may have forgotten.
It turned out beautifully and I'm sure it brings her much happiness.

Michele said...

What a bright cheerful quilt! It was meant to be with her. Such a generous gift.

s kendron said...

such a pretty quilt and what an amazing heart to gift to someone who needed that hug so much.