Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Happy New Year!

Welcome 2014!  I decided to start the new year right and get a blog post up!  I've got lots to share...Santa's workshop was busy, busy this holiday season.

First up...I was determined to get a Christmas quilt up on my office wall this year.  I started this "A Pretty Package" pattern done in Countdown to Christmas fabric by Sweetwater at the PMQG Retreat this past Fall (which, again was a total blast!) ....
I put the "bow on the package" after I got home...
I was in such a hurry to get it done in early December that it was on the quilting frame before I realized that OOPS, I forgot to satin stitch around the applique!  
No biggie, I just top-stitched really close around the edges of the bow (after all it's a wall hanging, it's not like it's going to get a lot of hard use).  A black button to hide the ugly middle and it's good!

My plan was to quilt loops in the light sections of the background and then do some straight line and wavy quilting in the green and red areas.  Again, being in too much of a hurry one morning when I had a few minutes to quilt before work, I turn on the machine and loop away only realizing minutes later that I'm looping all over the red and green!  Du-oh!  Well, that couple minutes of looping would have taken at least an hour to unpick so that wasn't happening.  I was feeling a little like this was a fail - but after I got it off the frame I realized it looks fabulous!

And, I've gotten nothing but compliments from the co-workers and I've been enjoying it in my office all month!

 Happy New Year everyone!!

9 comments:

Lynn said...

What a gorgeous Christmas wall hanging! I love the simplicity of the design. Very striking.

Susan said...

Very cute! Here's to many finishes in 2014.

Michele said...

Happy New Year! What a great quilt! You just did some raw edge appliqué! Sometimes things you thought were mistakes turn out to be the best part!

charlotte said...

Lovely quilt, Denise. Happy new year to you!

Kate said...

What a fun and beautiful wall hanging. I love the bow!

Karen said...

This would have given your office a delightful festive feel for Christmas. It looks great.

Anna said...

Turned out beautifully!!

Becky (My Fabric Obsession) said...

Love that!! May need to borrow the pattern! :)

Sarah said...

What a gorgeous quilt! I love that fabric and regret that I never bought any. But hey, I've got enough anyway!