Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Christmas in July Part 2 - The Twelve Days of Christmas

This is a project I have to get started on and it will be a labor of love.  I have a cousin (a second cousin I guess - my grandmother's sister's daughter), about 10 years older than I am, whom I was very close to as a child.  I spent a lot of time with her and her mom when I was little.  We'd go on vacations together and I'd spent a week at their house in the summer.  When I was about 10 or so, Linda married a man from South Carolina and he whisked her away and she's there still.  I've only seen her a few times in those 40 years since, but I treasure each time that I do.  She and her family have been coming "up north" as they say, to visit for the past few summers.   Last year, sadly, I missed her visit.  She knows I quilt so had asked my Mom if she thought I would finish a project for her that she'd started years ago as a gift for one of her daughters.  And my Mom volunteered me.  And then forgot to tell me - LOL! When Linda came for her visit, she brought the project and gave it to my Mom to pass on.

The project came from this book...

 It's hard to see here, but each square is cross stitched with one of the Twelve Days of Christmas....
These are the fabrics that she chose for the sashing and borders...
 And each cross stitched blocks is beautifully done...




 These photos don't do them justice, they are very pretty..
Looks like she did these in 2002 by the initials and date on the last block.  I shouldn't talk.  I have UFOs way older than that! o:)
There were three spools of thread in the bag...I wonder how old these are???
I don't think I'll use those - we'll get some fresh thread - LOL!

So, my goal is to get this done and quilted for her to gift this Christmas.  I know she will be thrilled and it will make me very happy to have had a hand in helping her with this.  Makes me feel a little closer to someone I wish was still close to me geographically.  I really miss her.

6 comments:

Luanne said...

Can't wait to see this finished project - it is going to be beautiful!!

Lynn said...

Wow! That is pretty old thread on great old wooden spools. I'd keep the thread but not use it. I'm sure the quilt will be gorgeous when finished. The cross stitch blocks are really nice!

Diane said...

it's going to be a beautiful quilt-definitely get some new thread! What a great gift-for you both really.

Ivory Spring said...

Oh yes, it is going to be adorable! I have always love the cross-stitch/quilting combo!

Kate said...

It's going to be beautiful. Enjoy the joint effort.

Karen said...

This will be lovely! Good luck!