Wednesday, July 3, 2013

SMQ Bee Blocks

In between finishing the quilting on Wedding Quilt #3 this past weekend, I caught up on my Sunday Morning Quilts Bee blocks. I finished the two blocks for June and actually worked ahead and got July's done too!

The two June gals asked for blocks for the High Five quilt from the book - here is the colorful version...
and the neutral version...
We generally do two blocks per month but for July we're only doing one. Our July quilter chose blocks for the Ticker Tape quilt...
I thought I'd get it started and then work a little bit at a time on the block. But, it was so much fun before I knew it, I was finished! The block is just composed of scraps, worked like a puzzle, stitched down 1/4" from the edges. Maybe you can see little better in the photo below. When it's washed, the edges will fray and get fluffy. We were each asked to use a 22" piece of Kona white as our background. All the blocks will then be stitched together and the white areas filled in with more scraps.
I think I might like to make a Ticker Tape quilt of my own someday!
 
***Public Service Announcement***
You know when they say "measure twice, cut once"? Yeah, well make sure you do that or....
(using Heat Press Batting Tape to splice the new piece of batting in)
You may wind up piecing in the few inches of batting that you are short while it's on the quilting frame!! (I may have also cut my "wide back" down too short and had to piece that back together too. Sigh...)

7 comments:

Lynn said...

Love your blocks! I have that book too but haven't made anything from it yet. It's on the list!

Oh dear Denise! I've cut stuff too short too. No fun.

Diane said...

nothing gives me a sinking feeling in the tummy like running out of batt or backing (done both myself)at least the batting you can press on-great tip!
The ticker tape quilt is very cool.

Kate said...

Beautiful blocks. I like the neutral one with the brights in it.

I add one more step to the measure twice and cut once, look at the instructions 3 times before you pick up the rotary cutter.

Karen said...

Lovely blocks - they all look great.
Oops - sorry to hear about the cutting short!

Kelly@ Charming Chatter said...

What lovely blocks - such fun colors! And, I love that last one - the ticker tape - going to have to try that! Always get bummed when I make a cutting error - great save :0)!!

Becky (My Fabric Obsession) said...

Very fun blocks. I haven't done one of those ticker tape blocks either. It turned out great. And seriously, how do I not know about the batting tape?! I have literally sewn batting on with needle and thread in the past because I've done just what you did.

Michele said...

Beautiful Bee Blocks :-)