Sunday, December 9, 2012

Santa's Workshop

Christmas gift-making is in full swing here...both in the sewing room and in the kitchen!

Every year I make a number of different goodies - usually sweet & sour hot pickles, hot tarragon mustard, quick toffee, shortbread, caramel corn and a few other goodies.  I'll share those recipes and photos in another post.  Today, I made the pickles and got started on the mustard.  Then, it was back into the sewing room ... because I don't have elves to help me out.

I am obsessed with making these very cute - and super easy - tissue covers (tutorial by KimQuiltz).  They are like potato chips - you can't stop at just one (which takes about 15 minutes start to finish, by the way!)  Everyone's getting these.  So far, I've made seven...


Purse construction is also in full swing...I'm making 5 of these striped purses from Jessica Levitt's Modern Mix...

I've also started the quilting on the Helix quilt  (from Emily Herrick's Geared for Guys) for son Bill.  This quilt was almost an epic fail.  You need to be careful and label all of the strips and carefully follow the instructions to sew them together. I did that and things were going well.  Until the cutting of the corners at 60 degree angles.  Angles and I do not get along.  Particularly ones that aren't 90 degrees - those I can usually handle (geometry was NOT a strong suit in school).  I thought I was doing fine until I started sewing on the corners to square the quilt back up.  This would be the wrong way to do it:

It hit me at 4:30am that I was sewing the corners back onto the corners I just cut.  Duh!  You needed to sew them on to where you didn't cut to square it up (this probably makes no sense, but trust me)  I will say that the only reason this quilt didn't wind up wadded up in the trash is due to the help of friends.  Becky and Lindsay both came to my rescue at different points in the making of this quilt - talked me off the ledge and provided two more hands and more brain cells and we figured it out and it's now on the frame.  Whew!  Thanks, friends!

I'm going "modern" in the quilting of this very modern quilt.  Straight lines in the green area and boxy meandering in the brown.  This is gonna take a while.  I've already gone through one bobbin and I only got one pass done.  How many more days until Christmas???


7 comments:

Pat said...

Denise, you are one on the 7 wonders of the world. Amazing!

charlotte said...

I agree with Pat. I though I was doing some crazy sewing here...nothing compared to you. That quilt is awesome, by the way!

Becky (My Fabric Obsession) said...

those little tissue things are SO CUTE! I love them.

And the helix looks awesome!!! looks like you got it all figured out. And I love what you are doing with the quilting. It will go so well with the piecing.

Ivory Spring said...

Those gifts are so sweet! :) And that Helix quilt is something else - love the quilting in that one.

Love love love Byers Choice's carolers! :)

Karen said...

Wow! It sure is a hive of industry at your place.
Great projects and gifts!!

Linda in Calif. said...

I understood what you were saying about sewing it back - I've done that before with a different quilt. Oh wait, maybe I shouldn't have admitted that! lol. Perfect quilting for the perfect quilt. Well done. Mustard? I never that about making mustard. Pickles would be so fun to make. I used to make them with my mom. They were so good.

Lisa said...

I LOVE the quilting this quilt for your son!