Sunday, December 30, 2012

Christmas Recap

Every Christmas, at the end of the day after all of the gifts are opened, the dinner eaten, and the family leaves, my husband says "Well, it's all over for another year."  My grandfather used to say the same thing.  The cycle continues.  It makes me feel a connection to the people who aren't with us any more and reminds me how similar we all are.  Kind of like quilting.  o:)

We had a very, very nice Christmas.  


The quilts were a hit...
 Son Bill and Daughter-in-Law Raqhel

Nothing says Christmas like a skull sweater (she's 23, when do they grow out of that????)
Daughter, Ariel and "Gramma" (my mom)
I think we've had enough...
 Bill photo-bombing

My treats were  a hit again this year.  I didn't get to make everything I had planned but the staples are my pickles and shortbread.  These are "Easy Refrigerator Pickles", they're a little sweet and a little hot with some garlic and onions. Yum!  I found this recipe in a Cooking Light magazine years ago and have been making them ever since.  You can find the recipe here.



Some years, I would love to skip the shortbread, but I think there'd be a revolt.
The recipe:
    1 cup butter
    2 cups flour
    1/2 cup sugar
    1/4 tsp salt (if using salted butter. I use 1/2 tsp if I'm using unsalted)
    1/2 tsp vanilla

I cut up the butter in pieces and put all of the ingredients in a food processor.  Pulse until crumbly, then process until the dough comes together - about 40-50 seconds.  I used an 8 wedge pan and one recipe makes one pan.  I usually double up so I get two pans.  Bake at 325 degrees for about 40 minutes.  I let cool a bit before taking the shortbread out of the pan - then let cool completely on a wire rack.

I forgot to take a photo of my cracker toffee, but that's another super easy recipe that we've been making for years.  A lot of recipes call for brown sugar, but we always use white.  I also add chopped hazelnuts after the chocolate is spread before it cools.  I either put the pan in the frige or outside on the ledge if it's cold enough until the toffee cools completely.  Then break into pieces and enjoy!

I can't believe it's all over for another year!

7 comments:

Gretchen said...

Oooh! A shortbread recipe! I'll have to try that.

Karen said...

You have some great Christmas traditions. Thanks for sharing recipes. Looks like it was a lovely day together. The quilts look great!

charlotte said...

Looks like a great Christmas. Happy new year Denise!

Becky (My Fabric Obsession) said...

looks like a great christmas! love the skull sweater! ;)

Luanne said...

What a fun time! Everything looked fabulous!

Kate said...

I have a niece who's 23 and she hasn't given up the skull stuff either. Looks like your family is like ours, we eat, open, then nap. Must be a universal law or something. Glad that your Christmas was good.

Michele said...

Thanks for the great recipe links! It looks like you had a wonderful Christmas :-)