Monday, October 29, 2012

October Schnibbles - Hubble

While we survived hurricane Sandy with just some roof damage our Internet, cable and phone service is still out. Luckily, I thought to buy some 3G for the iPad on Monday so I'm not totally out of contact. I'm posting from the Blogger app so I'm sure at least one of the photos will be out of place, but at least I won't miss the deadline! It will be another day of sewing for me since the office is still closed.
-----------------------------------
Again, this month we aren't actually doing a "Schnibble" in Sinta and Sherri's Another Year of Schnibbles. Last month we went little with "Little Bites" and this month we go big! We had a choice of designer Carrie Nelson's Hubble or Bounce. While I do love Bounce, I'm already planning on making a similar quilt, so chose Hubble.

Carrie's Hubble actually measures 70"x 70" (for the smallest version!) My Hubble's quite a bit smaller at 37"x37".

When I saw this pattern, I remember the box full of half-square triangles leftover from my Swoon quilt. I had one block left to go, and to get the most color choices for my Hubble, I quickly made the flying geese for that last block so I could use those leftover HSTs too! And, as a bonus, I'm that much farther on my last Swoon block!

I just had to make a few two-fabric HSTs to go diagonally in the middle, but this quilt was half made already when I started!

I still have a few HSTs in my box....

So, we're coming into the homestretch on this year of Schnibbles. I'm excited to see what our last two months' patterns will be!

Hop on over to Sherri & Sinta's blogs on November 1st, to see the parades of Hubbles and Bounces!

10 comments:

Béa said...

Very beautiful, love your fabrics.

Anna said...

So pretty! What a great use for all of those half square triangles!

Sinta Renee said...

Excellent use of your Swoon HST's! And to make it a small version... you are brilliant/like a star:0 hehe

Pat said...

I love Hubble, and have it's baby sister pattern, meant for those little packs of 2.5" squares. You are welco9me to borrow it if you want to do itsy bitsy.

Becky (My Fabric Obsession) said...

That looks awesome!! And you could incorporate it into your Swoon backing.

Anneke said...

a beautiful star already!
Hope your connection is repaired soon.

Michele said...

Hi Denise! Your Hubble quilt is beautiful! What a great idea to use some leftover pieces for it. Very scrappy!

Karen said...

Very pleased to read that damage is very limited. Hope the work on the roof doesn't take too long.
Good to know that if you are stuck at home you can at least sew.
I like how your Hubble quilt has turned out and I think it is great that you already had so many of the HSTs done!

Kate said...

Glad that damage is minimal.

Your Hubble is very pretty. Love the colors. Very smart thinking to use up your leftovers.

Ivory Spring said...

Denise, that star made me swoon!!!! Beautiful!!!!