Saturday, October 6, 2012

Winners!

When we got home from vacation last week, the mail contained two parcels.  I knew what one was...but the other, we were stumped.  My first thought was "what did I order?"  With the second thought being "what did my husband order"  LOL  Upon further inspection, we found out that we won this....

It's the Sherlock Holmes caroler from Byers' Choice!  Do you know the carolers?  My bosses' wife started my collection about 20 years ago with Mr. and Mrs. Claus.  I wasn't sure about the carolers at first, but they really grow on you.  We have quite the collection now and display them during the holidays.  Every caroler is hand-made - we saw them being made a few weeks ago.  It starts with a wire coat hanger and tissue paper.  Amazing!

A little about this great company...Besides being a wonderful place to work (I understand they win awards for this all the time), the business and family are very philanthropic.  Mrs. Byers started making these carolers at her dining room table in the 1960s.  Now they employ over 80 people and have the most wonderful office/workshop/Christmas museum complex.  We love going there for Christmas inspiration every year.

You may not be aware (although I don't know why not - LOL), but it's the 200th anniversary of Charles Dickens' birthday.  Charles' great-great grandson, Gerald Charles Dickens does a one-man show of A Christmas Carol every year at Byers' Choice - he does an amazing job.  For the 200th anniversary celebration, Byers Choice had a full weekend of events, turning their workshop into a  Dickens' village in early September.  Gerald also did some shows about Dickens and we saw a show entitled "Unlacing the Victorian Lady" - SOOOO glad we don't wear corsets anymore!  Every attendee received tickets to put in for chances to win one of the many carolers on display. And, amazingly, we won Sherlock!  Now, to figure out where to put him!

The second package contained this....
How cool is this not-so-little bag?  Made by the amazing Kaelin of The Plaid Scottie.   I love her blog.

And, look at the inside.  Pink Polka Dots - love them!

And, if sending me that amazing bag wasn't enough...she included these fabulous scraps (of which I've already used a few)...

I'm using the bag to carry small sewing supplies.  That way I get to show it off to my quilting friends.  o:)  Thanks again, Kaelin!  Kaelin sells this bag and other great things in her Etsy shop (and she didn't ask me to plug her shop, but I want to because she really makes such fabulous things!)

5 comments:

Lynn said...

What nice surprises you had waiting for you!

Helen said...

Hello Neighbor! I am not sure how I got to your blog. But I am glad I did. I was able to poke around and enjoyed reading several of your posts. I look forward to receiving your post.I love getting packages too. Looked like you had fun on the Cruise. Helen from Cape May Court House, NJ

Karen said...

Love getting nice surprises in the mail. You must have a great collection. And your other parcel was rather nice, too!

Becky (My Fabric Obsession) said...

Congrats on the win! I can't believe I lived down the street from Byers Choice for 20 yrs an didn't know about the Dickens event! At least I still live close and can got anytime. :)
Love that little pouchy, so cute.

Ivory Spring said...

Awwww... I love Byers Choice! I have a couple of their Williamsburg characters! Congrats on the win - you are one lucky gal. ;)