Friday, October 26, 2012

Bloggers Quilt Festival - The Wedding Quilt


For this Blogger's Quilt Festival (hosted by Amy's Creative Side - thanks Amy!), I am featuring the quilt made for our family's Wedding of the Century!   I was able to present the quilt to my brother and his new bride at their wedding on October13th.  I think they loved it o:)

Unfortunately, I couldn't get very good shots of the quilt.  My camera decided to die out on me after one photo - that I waited until the morning of the wedding to take.  I grabbed my iPad to take a couple more shots.
There is some background to the making of this quilt - you can read about it here (because there's ALWAYS a story). After much rearranging, angst and conferring (thanks, Becky!) about the placement of the rings to get the right color balance, and making two replacements for rings I didn't think were working, it was as good as it was going to get!
Colorwise, it wasn't really what I had in my head when I started this whole project.  I was going for more of a pastel look.  But because of the fabric issues (again, discussed in THIS post), it wound up being much more colorful. 

I quilted a large allover pantograph (by the time I got to the quilting, the wedding day was barreling towards me - no time for any intricate custom quilting!) using my new favorite Glide Thread in Pearl.  I used the platinum Mirror Ball Dot for the binding and made this cute label for the back...

Quilt Stats:
Wedding Rings - #94
Size - 87"x87"
Fabrics - Michael Miller Mirror Ball Dots and white tone-on-tone
Quilted by: Me
Started: August 2012  Finished:  October 10, 2012 
Best Category - Bed Quilt
The wedding was held at The Black Bass Hotel in Lambertville, NJ.  A most beautiful setting..but the weather decided to get downright chilly - we were shivering in the 50s at the outdoor ceremony!  The next day of course was a balmy mid-70s.  But, at least it didn't rain!

Here are some photos of the happy day...

Piping the groom and his men (the bride's two sons) to the alter...
Our favorite musicians - our very dear friends Mary and Jim...
The Vows...
Presenting the Mr & Mrs with a champagne toast!
Kiss...
The wedding party...hubby and I are 2nd and 3rd from the right.
Our daughter, Ariel...
I keep wishing we could hit rewind and do it all over again - it was a spectacular weekend!
Many years of happiness to Cathy & Jeff!

30 comments:

Carla said...

A lovely finish! The wedding looks fabulous.

Anna said...

The quilt turned out awesome! And I love the wedding photos!!!

Taya@TypeB said...

Beautiful quilt for a beautiful couple! I really like how the color palette turned out. Maybe a happy accident, but the different intensities really adds to the design. Thanks for sharing it!

Susan Standen said...

Gorgeous quilt and awesome wedding gift.

Becky (My Fabric Obsession) said...

It turned out so beautiful! I really like the addition of the darker colors, I think it adds some more interest.
And your daughter looks so gorgeous in that photo! :)

Alison said...

Very beautiful! Love all of the colors!

Shannon said...

I love this- a fabulous modern take on the double wedding ring. Such delightful colors!

Linda in Calif. said...

Pretty, very pretty. And the wedding sure looks fun!

charlotte said...

Okay, first...I love the quilt. I love the rings, the colors, everything. I think it finished beautifully. Second...I L-O-V-E the wedding pictures!! My husband is Scottish and my daughter's first wedding the men all wore kilts. It was awesome. I love the look. They seem to make things even more festive, don't they?

Lara said...

I love this quilt :) my bloggers quilt festival quilt is a quilt I made to celebrate my parents 39th wedding anniversary! They were married on the 13 October in 1973 :) so many years of happiness to your brother and his new bride :)

FarahLin said...

What a lovely wedding quilt! It's beautiful - gorgeous colours and your quilting looks fantastic as always!

I'm sure the quilt was well received and looks like you've had an awesome time at the wedding!

CitricSugar said...

Glad you managed to sort out your placement issues! Looks beautiful, as does the wedding! I always say that it isn't a wedding unless you have a piper... :-) (We may be a little Scottish in my family...)

Emma said...

Your quilt is beautiful, and a lovely variation on the traditional wedding ring design.

Karen said...

It is lovely to see how the quilt turned out. I think the fabrics and colours look great. It is a beautiful wedding gift. Thanks for sharing some of the wedding photos, too.

Amanda said...

That's a great pattern for a wedding quilt. It's lovely!

Eileen said...

Wonderful. Really like it and think colors are perfect. Thanks for sharing it and the fun story! Have a great day

Sunshine Girl said...

Beautiful quilt - i like the colours. Fabulous wedding photos too. Thanks for sharing. #263

Rene' said...

Great quilt! I really like this pattern.

Jolanda said...


Beautiful quilt.

LizA. said...

Beautiful quilt and a wonderful story. October 13th is a good day to get married. My parents were married on that day in 1956 and were married for 50 years before my mother passed away 5-1/2 years ago.

Jenn said...

What a great gift! And such a lovely one too!

Gretchen said...

What beautiful colors and what a happy feeling quilt!

Carolyn said...

What a great wedding gift! Quilts have to be at the top of my gift list for my favorite people too.

Diary of a Flutter.Kat said...

What a gorgeous quilt. Thanks for sharing its story with us.

CathyH said...

I love this quilt so much!! I have posted it on my Pinterest Board "Quilts to look at" so I can look at it easily - and often! Great work!

deborah said...

Stunning quilt, and the wedding looks like it was lovely despite the weather.

traceyjay said...

beautiful quilt! What a gift! :)

Hitch and Thread said...

Fabulous modern update of this pattern. A beautiful gift.

lindaroo said...

Lovely wedding, gorgeous quilt!

Kate said...

The quilt turned out beautifully. Love the label you made. Gorgeous wedding!