Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Chopsticks!

I didn't mean to fall off the face of the blog-o-sphere for so long, but with my brother's wedding and trying to get caught up at work and a broken camera, life happened!

I'll post the wedding quilt (which they loved) and photos of the big day on Friday.  

But now, I want to recap my visit to The Round Bobbin a few weeks ago where I attended Julie Herman's  (of Jaybird Quilts' fame) book signing.  It was great to see Julie again and I loved seeing all of the quilts in her new book, Skip the Borders, in person



Julie also was introducing her new ruler - Hex-n-More, which cuts 4 different shapes in 4 sizes - hexagons, half hexagons, 60 degree triangles, and jewels.

Julie has already developed a number of patterns using the ruler with more to come!  I bought Candy Dish to make these cute pillows.  I know I'll be getting more of the patterns to use with the Hex-N-More.
My co-conspirator in quilting at work, Lindsay, let me borrow her newly-finished quilt made from one of Julie's older patterns, Chopsticks to show Julie while I was visiting.  Lindsay's already made two of these with at least one more in the works.
She used Amy Butler fabrics paired with some Kaffe Fasset Aboriginal Dots - everyone who's seen it loves the combination.  And, I'm getting some Aboriginal Dots for my stash!
Here's my version of Chopsticks - not quilted yet unfortunately.  I'm doing a second Chopsticks for a wedding gift for later this year.  Just waiting for the fabric to arrive (because, no, I don't have enough fabric to make another Chopsticks quilt - LOL)

This is one of those patterns...I haven't seen a Chopsticks I haven't liked!

6 comments:

Lynn said...

I've not seen the hex-n-more ruler. I'll have to check that out. Love both chopsticks quilts!

Darlene said...

I've been very, very curious about Julie's Hex-n-more ruler.

I love the Chopsticks quilts - very cute.

Karen said...

It would have been good to see the quilts and have a demo of the ruler.
Love your version of chopsticks.

FarahLin said...

Your chopsticks quilt looks great, and I'm sure it'll look gorgeous once quilted!

Look forward to seeing your Candy Dish pillow too.

Becky (My Fabric Obsession) said...

Love your version of chopsticks! And Lindsay's was spectacular in person. :) Still bummed I missed Julie's signing.

Julie @ Jaybird Quilts said...

Denise I love your chopsticks!! So good to see you while I was on the east coast!