Thursday, March 1, 2012

Granny Square Quilt-a-Long

I've officially declared 2012 the year of the quilt-a-long!  I got sucked into another one...
The Granny Square Quilt-a-Long!
It starts today.  I first read about it on Dana's blog.  Krista is hosting  and Jolene also has a great tutorial.  This is a great scrap-buster and I'm having fun going through my scraps to choose fabrics for my squares.
This Q-a-L called to me because the last afghan my grandmother (who raised me and who lived with us for the last eight years of her life - she passed away in 2004) made me was a Granny Square.  I remember her making this for me from the left-over - or scrap - yarns...
My grandmother was a crocheter.  She tried and tried to teach me, but with her being right-handed and me being left-handed, I never got past the double crochet - LOL!  I have many of her crocheted creations and treasure them all!  When I took up quilting she told me it was always something she wanted to do.  When we moved in together, I wanted to teach her but she'd always say she was too old.  I would have dearly loved to have shared this hobby with her, but she did love everything I made.

When I was a little girl, I think we did every craft out there together.  We did ceramics (I think my grandfather, Pop, painted a couple of ceramic beer steins too), we made candles, did decoupage and I think we even did some macrame.   It was a fun, crafty childhood - but no sewing, not a stitch!  Who'd have thought I'd become an obsessive quilter as an adult who can't be away from her sewing machine for too long - LOL!

I couldn't wait for March 1st, so I started pulling scraps last weekend to get ready...and couldn't resist.  I had to make one.  Well, these things are like potato chips, you can't make just one - LOL!  Here's what I've got so far...
Up close...


Too much fun!

2 comments:

Linda in Calif. said...

Very beautiful blocks! I love those fabrics.

Nancy said...

I love these blocks, too. Nice job!