Saturday, March 17, 2012

It's Hard to Find Good Help These Days

Happy National Quilting Day everyone!  Hope you can all do something quilty today! I was planning on posting this midweek, but, well that didn't happen obviously.  The week just got away from me.  Between work and jury duty (I only had to go one day, but what a looonnnggg day and I missed getting picked for a really scary trial by a hair - whew!)  Anyway.....

My Countdown to Christmas Twister quilt has been finished sitting folded up on my wing chair in the living room for a month or so now waiting for its photo session.  Well,  the moon and stars aligned and I was able to get some quilt holder helpers to hold it up (I don't have any cool places to drape my quilts for "artsy" photos - I think I would like to move just so I stage better quilt photos - that, and a bigger dining room - LOL!)  I don't think my quilt holder-uppers did a very good job, but at least it's done!

Ariel tried to hold the quilt up by herself at first, but we kept getting the head bump in the middle of the quilt.  So, then we got Dad to come out and help, much hilarity ensued and I got this really bad shot.  But, like I said it's done...
I love the snowflake quilting...
An outtake...
You can see Lilly looking out the door saying "why didn't you ask me to help???"

Last week I also made up my I Spy 9 Patches my guild is making to put together charity quilts.  At our last meeting, we all brought novelty fabrics and spent some time cutting them into 5" squares and then putting together sets for members to take home and sew.  It was fun working with these cute fabrics. We're going to set them with solids.  I think they'll be really cute.  We had a boatload of fabric, so I'm thinking we'll be able to make quite a few quilts! 


I was glad to be able to contribute a lot of fabric for this cause.   I've been working on an I Spy quilt for about 100 years.  Seriously, this has been in progress for about 10 years.  I've collected lots of novelty fabrics for this, friends have given me pieces and this is how far I've gotten...
Yep, six short rows - LOL.  It's one of those "long-term" projects I guess.  I swear I'll finish it someday.
So, I'm not giving up by giving away some of the fabrics because I had enough novelties to make 5 I Spy quilts, and if I can't even finish one, it's probably better to put them to good use elsewhere!
Ooooh, and I am SO (yes, I'm shouting) excited about this...I found out last Friday I got into the class I really wanted to take at MQX next month.  It was sold out by the time I made up my mind to go, but my waitlist came through! 
 I'll be a McTavishing fool when I'm done (I hope!)

5 comments:

Darlene said...

Your Twister quilt is wonderful. I love it!

Nine patches will make a little someone very happy.

Eye spy quilts are so time consuming! Yours is coming along nicely.

Luanne said...

The I Spy quilt is amazing!

Becky M said...

Awesome, all your projects look great! Love the snowflakes on the Christmas quilt-perfect. And I love lily, I'm so stealing her. Have a wonderful birthday tomorrow!

rubyslipperz said...

the countdown twister is really pretty. the colors make the quilt really happy.

Fun...I spy...patches!

hugZ,
annie
anniesrubyslipperz.com

Diane said...

look how busy you've been! love the twister. I'm glad you were able to get in Karen's class, she seems like a great teacher.