Sunday, July 4, 2010

Happy 4th!!

Happy 4th of July everyone!


[clipart courtesy of http://www.webweaver.nu/]
Today, I thought I'd show you some of the patriotic themed quilts I've made over the years.

This was the first patriotic quilt I ever made.   This small wallhanging is pretty old now.  I remember it was the weekend before the 4th of July and I wanted something red, white and blue and made this to hang for the holiday.  I remember it being a lot of fun to make and superquick!  I quilted a spiral in the blue and squiggly lines across the red/white.

This next one didn't really start out as a "patriotic" quilt, but it sure looks that way - lol!  This was one of those quilts where you play with values - all the blocks are the same star but depending on your fabric choices sometimes you can't even tell!


This one was made for my grandson's birthday - who happened to be born on the 4th of July (so, of course, he thinks all the hoopla is for him-haha!).  He wanted a flag quilt for his birthday a few years ago, so I used some artistic license and came up with this...
His uncle is in the First Cavelry in the Army so I used this fabric on the back to honor him...

And I found this fun label....


This was my 2nd quilt for Quilts of Valor (I guess I didn't take a photo of the first one o:( ).  This was made from Mary's (of Making Scrap Quilts from Stash) pattern at her MaryQuilts.com site.  It's called Patriotic Rail Fence.  I love, love, love Mary's blog and she so generously shares many great patterns at the MaryQuilts site.  She is a very big supporter of the HeartStrings quilt charity.  She is extremely prolific!
I've been reminiscing about some of the great places we've spent the holiday.  We've seen fireworks in New York City in Battery Park, in Disney World and (my favorite) on the Mall in Washington, D.C.  We'll be at home this year (celebrating the grand-kiddo's 12th birthday and our independence), which is pretty darn good too!!  Happy 4th all - I hope everyone has a wonderful holiday weekend!

7 comments:

*karendianne. said...

Wow! What wonderful quilts you are sharing here. I'm going to have to run out and tell all my friends!!! What a pleasure to meet you. I love your artistic license. :) *karendianne.

Michelle said...

Wow! You have a lovely collection of patriotic quilts here. Each one is unique and beautiful.

Ivory Spring said...

Same to you, Denise! Beautiful patriotic quilts you've got there... :)

Sandy H said...

I've not made much in the way of patriotic or Americana quilts to date but would like some for this time of year. You've given me some great ideas--I especially like the quilt for your grandson!

Magnolia Bay Quilts said...

Love all your patriotic quilts! Such a nice collection!

Ivory Spring said...

Hi Denise,

Thanks for your kind words on my featured quilt. I think the latest issue of The Quilter is a great one to have. I saw quite a few projects I like.

Gretchen said...

Gorgeous!