Thursday, July 29, 2010

An unexpected day off /JRS #11 and Schnibbles!

I got a 7am phone call this morning from my boss - of course my stomach immediately fell as I thought, oh no, who died (even though our families are friendly, he doesn't generally give me good morning wake-up calls!).  Luckily, the first thing he said was "nobody died."  Then he said "the good news is you don't have to go into work today."  Since it was only a blown transformer (meaning we'll have no a/c, servers, phones, or lights all day) and nothing bad happened to the building, it's a bonus day off for me!  So, I'm declaring this Quilting Day at Denise's house!  Wish you could join me o:)

So, I thought I'd take the time to get a little blogging in.  Here's is the next to last Jelly  Roll Sampler block - number 11.  One more to go.  When it's finished, I think I'm going to donate this very colorful quilt to one of the children's charities.


I have to say something about the jelly roll I used for this quilt.  Last year I made these as Christmas gifts...

I was a fabric basket-making fool for a couple of months last Fall.  They were fun, but I was basketed-out by the time I was finished-LOL!  I decided I wasn't going to spend the money to purchase the "good" Jelly Rolls for these, but I found the chain craft stores carried generic jelly rolls and with your 40 or 50% off coupons, I could get them for about $6.  Sweet!  So, I stocked up.  Now, they were fine for basket making, but as I found out when making this quilt, they are not all cut precisely at 2-1/2", not even in one strip.  I was wondering why some of my JRS blocks weren't coming out right.  I've been piecing for more than 16 years, I am a fairly good piecer, not perfect, but I know I'm not THAT bad!  I finally decided to measure the strips and, my oh my, quality control is really missing there!  I have a few of those jelly rolls left over and I think I'll just keep them for basket making!  Or, I guess I could cut them down to 1.5" strips.  Anyway, just a warning!

I also finished my Joy Luck, the July "A Year of Schnibbles", quilt.  Not very creative of me and it looks just like the cover...

since I used the same fabric.  I really liked the original, so decided to be a lemming again and just follow along o:) since I had a FQ bundle of Verna.  So, I just cut my own charm squares.  Now, originally, I was planning on using just two different Asian prints from stash along with a background, but when I pulled out what I had, I wasn't feeling it.  Since I didn't want to buy new fabric, I just decided to go ahead with the Verna.  And I'm glad I did!  I'm still deciding how I want to quilt it.  I'd like to do some sort of Asian design, but I'm not sure what that is yet!  I've got to get some backing for this and I think I'm going to do a Kona solid for the binding.  Maybe a hot pink.

Now, I'm off to quilt for the day - - Yippee!!!

6 comments:

Darlene said...

Unexpected days off are wonderful. I hope you had fun - ALL day!

Baskets are sweet and the JR block is great. Love, love your Joy Luck quilt!

Heather said...

Lucky Duck! Have fun on your day off. The baskets you made are really cute, I like them.

I just finished my Joy Luck top last night too! I used Halloween fabric. I’ll post about it this evening. It was a fun quilt to make, but lots of little corners huh? Yours turned out gorgeous. Verna is so pretty.

Quilt Hollow said...

Oh how fun to have an unexpected day to play! Your Schnibbles is delightful and I too loved the cover quilt but didn't have that line. I would have copied myself! Good Job YOU!!

Ivory Spring said...

What lovely finishes.... your bowls are lovely. Your unexpected day off sounds almost as good as Christmas itself! :)

Sherri said...

Sometimes the original is just so fun you have to make it the same! Nothing wrong with that!

Kim said...

How lucky to have an unexpected day off from work! Aren't those the best?! Love your Joy Luck--who cares if it looks the same as the pattern? Just say yours was the model for the pattern photo--LOL!