Tuesday, July 13, 2010

I'm a Charming Girl!

I was thrilled to find that Kelly of Cotton Charm Quilts was opening up membership in


I had learned of The Charming Girls Club  a few months ago and eagerly read all of the members' updates.  It was fun and I wanted to be a "Charming Girl", but membership was closed and I had to be content to just be on the outside looking in.  But I knew I was a Charming Girl at heart and when I read that the club was opened to new members for its second year, I jumped!  I commented on Kelly's post and asked to join and she said yes!  I can now proudly display the button on blog.

This year, Kelly made a few changes to the club.  Not only will we post our quilting goals, but some life goals as well!  I like that.  There are things that I've been wanting to do, meaning to do and should be doing that are not quilt related and this will help me be somewhat more accountable.

Each month will have a different theme.  This month's theme is


So, here are my self-care and quilting goals for the month:

1.  I've been trying to be better about exercise.  I feel better when I do it and at my age, I really need it!
And, since I sit at a desk all day, I get just about no exercise if I don't really make an effort.  The problem is it is a time-sucker!  And I so hate to waste good quilting time.  But, it is necessary for my health so I can quilt for many years to come (and also so I can wear more than the 5 pairs of stretch pant in my closet that fit!). So, my goal is to do weight training 3 days a week and at least two days of aerobic exercise.  I have no excuse, I have a treadmill, weights, a step, videos, bands, etc. at home.  I just need to get my butt out of bed in the mornings and do it!!

2.  Along with the exercise, a good diet is also key.  I don't have too much trouble with that - I'd say that I've been able to overhaul my diet over the years to be about 75% healthy/25% really yummy.  Fortunately, I love fruits and veggies.  I've pretty much got breakfast and lunch down - but dinner can be a downfall.  I eat lots of whole grains cereals, greens, no soda, chips or snacky type foods for the most part.  My big problem is portion control. I can eat a lot of food. And, I hate to be hungry.  I also have a love affair with pasta and rice.  I am trying to learn to love whole-grain pasta and brown rice.  So, I'll be watching even more carefully what I eat this month.

3. A big quilty goal is to finish my Lady Madonna applique quilt.  It's huge, the biggest applique I've done and the pieces just need to be fused and then I can do the machine applique.  I like the machine applique part, but I'm procrastinating about getting the fusing done.  If I don't make myself do it, it will just keep getting put on the back burner.  So, I'm putting it out there so I'll have to hang my head in shame if I don't get it done!


4.  I've also decided to participate in A Year of Schnibbles for July - I've just ordered my Joy Luck pattern and will get that done (Schnibbles are so fun and quick, I don't think that will be a problem).
[photo courtesy of Fat Quarter Shop]


Thanks, Kelly, for letting me be charming!

4 comments:

Michelle said...

Denise, I can so relate to your comment about exercise. For the most part, I don't actually hate it, but I think that is time I could be doing something creative! But you're right, it is important.

I've been working on diet too. I have motivation since I'm pre-diabetic and if I eat the wrong thing or too much at one time, then afterward my blood sugar gets too high. Anyway, I've learned a couple of tricks. First off, don't let yourself get too hungry. Eat smaller meals and work in a mid-morning, midafternoon, and early evening snack. That way you don't get that starved feeling. The other thing I've done for meals is to get smaller plates. It's so weird. You can fill a smaller plate to where it looks pretty full, and it seems like you're eating a lot. I use what I call a dessert size plate. Totally psychological, but it works for me.

Can't wait to see the Lady Madonna quilt! And congrats on becoming a Charming Girl. :-)

Carol said...

Welcome to the club. It's fun I know you will enjoy it. I'm Carol from Carol's Crafty Creations (carolscraftblog.blogspot.com). Good goals.

Kelly@ Charming Chatter said...

Welcome to the Club - we're so glad to have you! Great goals you have! I'll be looking forward to seeing that pretty quilt, and hearing about your other goals, too!

Ivory Spring said...

It sounds like you are doing a great job taking care of yourself! :)

Oh my - that Lady Madonna quilt is STUNNING!!