Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Quilts I almost didn't finish

I was listening to Sandy's (of Quilting for the Rest of Us) newest podcast and she told the story of a quilt she almost gave up on.  I was fascinated listening to her story and she posted photos of the quilt on her blog.  Wow, I'm sure glad she finished it - the quilt is spectacular.  She asked listeners to share stories of quilts they almost didn't finish.  It got me thinking and I decided the subject would make a good blog post!  Here are the stories of two (well, four really), projects that didn't get finished!

One BOM - Two Quilts
I am a BOM fiend.  Love 'em.  I pick up (or get in the mail) my block for the month, spend an hour and I feel that I've accomplished something!  A number of years ago, my LQS had a sweet BOM using 30s fabrics.  30s had never been my thing up to that point, but seeing the finished quilt I just had to do it.  So, I dutifully picked up my package every month and made the blocks.  And then they sat, and sat, and sat.  In 2008 I decided that I was going to plow through those UFOs and get them done!  I'd made a resolution that I'd have to finish at least two UFOs before I could start something new (that worked up until this year, but that's a whole other story).  So, I pulled out the blocks for the 30s BOM.  The quilt was made up of log cabin and basket blocks.  Now, I said I made the blocks a number of years ago.  Apparently, I've become a much better piecer since then because the basket blocks were smaller than the log cabin blocks - and not just a smidge.  By like 1/2 inch!!  Oh boy, I almost put the whole thing away again.  Squaring them all up to be the same size wouldn't work, I'd lose too much off the baskets.  But, I really didn't want to just give up.  A.  I'd spent a lot of money on this quilt already and B. the blocks were pretty!  After much thought (sometimes it takes me a while o:)  I hit on the perfect solution.  I'd make two quilts!  The original quilt was gi-normous and I realized If I made two quilts - one log cabin and one basket quilt, I'd still have two good size quilts.  So, that's what I did.  So I got a two-for-one!  I love them both.

The Baskets...

The Log Cabin (sorry about the creases):


The second didn't start out life as a quilt.  I took a class to make a quilted vest.  It was a fun class and I enjoyed the technique.  But..I don't make clothes.  I always say, I don't sew, I make quilts.  I even took private garment sewing lessons about 20 years ago.  I didn't like it and didn't get good at it at all.  So, in class I got the panels for the vest done.  Then, it sat and sat for years.  I was going to make the vest for my grandmother.  She passed away in 2006, and the panels still sat.  They were too pretty to throw away, so I thought - I'll make wall hangings!  So, another project I got a two-fer out of!  I now have two of these.   At least one is going into my Etsy shop.



Thanks, Sandy, for this food for thought!

5 comments:

Sandy said...

Love them! Very nice job. Aren't you glad you grit your teeth and fought your way through now? :-)

And I'm with you--"I don't sew, I quilt." I hate garment-making. I believe I've mentioned that on an episode at some point or another, LOL. Great idea to go for two-fers!

Sandy (of QFTRU)

Pat said...

That basket quilt is crazy gorgeous. I like the others as well, but I LOVE the baskets. Good thing I don't know where you live 'cause I'd steal it (grin).

Michelle said...

What an interesting blog! Glad you finished those TWO quilts. They are both so pretty. :-) I do think that using fabric that is too far outside our usual realm or if the project gets too tough does lend the possibility of an unfinished project. I had a beautiful quilt top, but the colors didn't sing to me and I couldn't convince myself to finish it. I ended up selling it on ebay and was glad someone would finish it and love it.

Quilt Hollow said...

All quilts are pretty but that basket one is AMAZING!!!

Magnolia Bay Quilts said...

Love both the log cabin and the basket quilt. Great idea! I used to sew, but I have it up completely when I learned to quilt. And over the years, I've forgotten how!