Thursday, April 22, 2010

Jelly Roll Fun!

While I was trolling the quilting blogs a week or so ago, I stumbled upon the Jelly Roll Sampler Quilt-A-Long that's going on.  Since I wasn't too far behind, I thought I'd jump in.  I had a jelly roll in mind and found some background fabric in my stash...

I got the Jelly Rolls at AC Moore before Christmas when I was in my fabric basket making phase (I'll post some photos of them at some point - they were lots of fun to make, but I'm kind of basket-ed out for now since I made so many).  Since you needed strips for the baskets, I thought I'd just get Jelly Rolls and since they were pretty cheap at JoAnns or AC Moore, and with those 40% off coupons they were even cheaper, it made the baskets pretty economical.  I had a roll left over and loved the fabrics so thought I use that for my sampler.  Since these rolls only contain 20 strips each, I had to go and buy another.  Luckily, they still had rolls of the same fabrics!
So, here are the first four blocks.  They post a new block every two weeks and the quilt along runs until August 2, I believe.  You post your finished blocks on the Flickr group page and someone wins a prize every two weeks!  Fun!




This past weekend I also accomplished getting all 80 of the beach cottage blocks up on the design wall.  At first I was very unhappy with my contrast - the block design kind of got lost.  I played around and I think I got it the best it can be...when I saw the photo, I was happier with the way it looked.  I know I'll like this quilt though - soft and summery!  I've got two rows put together so far.  I had hoped to be putting a row a night together this week but this turned out to be one of those weeks where life got in the way a little bit, so I'm way behind.  And, tonight, no sewing will get done as we're going to the city to celebrate our daughter's 21st birthday.  I don't know HOW she got that old?!?!  She's thrilled.  And, it is kind of a relief when they turn 21 - LOL!  HAPPY BIRTHDAY ARIEL!!

5 comments:

Carrie P. said...

Love your blocks. I have not seen jelly rolls at our stores yet.
Oh, the blue quilt is just lovely.

wendysquilting said...

I really like that beach quilt, and am so tempted to pick up the book too. I need more hours in the day! Thank you for visiting my blog :)

Mary said...

Aren't jelly rolls fun? I've been cutting a bunch of 2.5 inch strips when I'm doing other cutting for bindings or just to use up bits of leftover fabric. I did one 9 patch quilt from them but have others planned.

ivoryspring said...

Denise,

Thank you for visiting me back, and leaving the kind kind comments!

Your blue quilt is absolutely STUNNING!!! I love those colors.

Jan said...

Denise, I really like that beach quilt. The colors are very 'beachy' and summery. :)