Monday, April 26, 2010

I Heart Aviary

I recently fell in love with the Aviary fabric line from 3 Sisters by Moda (I think Moda puts something in their fabric that makes it addicting!).  It's not so new anymore so I had to scour the internet to get my fix.  First I decided I wanted to make Miss Rosie's Quadrille out of Aviary.....


So I scored these Fat quarters.  I had to get them from a few different on-line shops.  Quiltshops.com has come to my rescue on more than one occasion to find older fabrics! 




Then I saw the Taffy Treats quilt somewhere and decided I needed to make that too.  I certainly wouldn't have enough with just those fat quarters, and lo and behold I found a kit on eBay - and it was on sale!  The kit came with Fig Tree's Pastry Shoppe book.  Which means I get a bunch of other patterns too - Score!   Here's a photo of the quilt - and here are the fabrics that came with the book...


I finished all 1 million 76 flying geese last night - here's a sample.  I can't wait to put this together.  Now the only problem I had with this quilt was using the 6" half-square triangle "Turnovers" to make the flying geese.  My go-to method for making flying geese is to use Eleanor Burns' Flying Geese rulers - I have all the sizes.  They make perfect geese - first time, every time!  I am scared of bias.  So, using the turnover pieces with all those bias edges make me shudder.  The only saving grace was that the pieces are big.  That, lots of pinning, slow sewing and a bit of holding my breath and all flying geese came out great.  Whew!

8 comments:

Fiesta said...

Denise great color selection and your flying geese are perfect.

Loris said...

Denise, welcome to blogland. You are off to a great start! I also heart Aviary. I like the idea of using the flying geese pattern.

Quilt Hollow said...

I've done that before...scouring the internet for last tidbits of a fabric line. Your post sounded all too familiar. :-)
Looking forward to seeing your top together! Keep going!!

Sandy said...

I, too, find Moda addictive! I looked at the Aviary line and never bought it--now seeing what you're doing with it is really making me sorry that I don't have the line on my own shelves, dang it. Can't wait to see the finished product...

Robyn said...

Welcome to blogland Denise!
Love those fabrics and those geese!
Beautiful!
Enjoy the ride... it's such fun :)

ivoryspring said...

Denise,

Came to your blog via Carrie at A Passion for Applique.

Welcome to blogland. I hope you will have fun meeting other quilters. Those patterns are darling.

marina said...

Your flying geese look lovely. I used the beautiful cream on cream fabric from the Aviary range and I was so sad when it ran out. I will check out that site you mentioned that has older ranges.
Oh and Welcome to blogland. You have done some super quilts.
cheers
Marina

Carrie P. said...

Glad you find things you like.
When you are doing one of the same block it sure does seem like a million.
I have those rulers and have yet to use them. One day when I am not doing so much applique. lol