Sunday, February 12, 2012

PMQG Sewing Summit

Last Saturday the PMQG held our first (and I hope annual!) mini "sewing summit".  It was a great day and we had a great space to work in thanks to one of our members ...


Here is my set up...
We even had a couple Featherweights with their very own tables - very cool!
The day ran from 10am-5pm and consisted of two workshops, free sewing time and lunch.  The first workshop (darn, no photos, left my camera by my sewing machine and didn't feel like climbing over folks to get it) was a color theory class by member/fabric designer/quilt pattern designer Jessica Levitt.  Jessica brought stacks and stacks of fabrics (which I wanted to hide and take all of it home with me - that girl has a fantastic stash!) for us to play with.  Jessica lectured, showed examples on a big screen and had us break into groups and do a number of hands-on activities with fabrics and paint ships.  We were given stacks of fabrics and we were to sort them in value order - harder than it sounds! With the paint chips, we were to find all of the colors of the color wheel.  It was fun!  Great workshop - I learned a lot (and I have studied color theory before).

The afternoon workshop was with Sujata Shah who taught a class on curved or "organic" piecing.  I had never met Sujata before - I would love to take another class with her.  Before she taught us her technique, she showed us a number of examples of quilts she had made.

This was a technique workshop - no real pattern.  I didn't get a whole lot done, but got the gist of it and think I understand the technique pretty well.  This is what I got done during the afternoon...
You can see the gentle curves.  I think I'll keep going on this to make it a bit longer and then I'm thinking of using it as a background for some applique.  I'm sure the PMQG blog will have photos of more pieces done by members in the workshop.

All in all, it was a great day.  I love getting together to sew with friends.  I'm looking forward to our next guild sewing night!

3 comments:

Kate said...

Looks like lots of fun was had by all. Very cool classes too.

Karen said...

What a wonderful opportunity. I hope there are many more meetings!

Dana - Old Red Barn Co. said...

Oh what a wonderful day! I wish I could have come! I'm so rurally located that I cannot attend any modern quilt guild events. :( I like the ideas of mini sewing get togethers and really hope to be a part of a few this year since attending the big Sewing Summit in SLC is so costly.