Saturday, February 25, 2012

Daisy Chain Sampler

A couple of months ago, I fell in love with Kristyne's (from Pretty By Hand) version of Alicia Paulson's (Posie Gets Cozy) Daisy Chain Sampler...

Alicia's original version is done with crewel wool and is gorgeous, but it was Kristyne's softer version with this beautiful palette of Cosmo floss that really caught my eye. 
I do have all 300-some colors of DMC floss (cross stitch was my "thing" before I found quilting), but this was a special project and I decided to splurge.  I had heard how awesome the Cosmo floss was and how fabulous it is to sew with.   I got mine from Thimble Creek.  The floss is about 3x more expensive than DMC, but I still only spent about $15.  So, the verdict?  It's nice but I'm not sure I'm noticing much of a difference yet.  I guess I'll have to do a stitch test - stitch a line with Cosmo and then with DMC.  But, the colors are gorgeous and I'm happy I'm working with them.

Next, I hunted for a soft, creamy background in my stash and found this piece.  I marked it with a Frixion pen so I would be sure that none of my marks would show after stitching (I just have to resist the urge to iron the piece before I'm done - LOL!)
Here's where I am so far...
Some detail shots.  I'm not great at embroidery, but I'm sure I'll get better after completing this sampler...
I have to fix the "circle" at the end of the E, it's not as round as it should be, so I'll go back and fix that and then finish stitching. 
Look at G - what a fun letter - all French knots!  I love doing French knots.
I've never done some of the stitches, but that's what makes this sampler so much fun!  Every letter is something different.  I know I'll be making more than one of these!

3 comments:

Darlene said...

I've enjoyed Kristyne's progress on her sampler and been very tempted to jump in, as well. Yours is looking wonderful.

I tried Cosmo floss on a recent project for a friend and found it to be very nice. I'm sticking with DMC because if I run short of a color I can make a quick run to Michael's. :-)

Becky M said...

ohh, it's looking really good! that's a lot of different stitches needed.

Karen said...

This looks like fun and sure is going to be gorgeous when finished.