Sunday, July 24, 2011

This is why you should keep notes....

Or....How many yards of fabric do you have to buy before you get the right shade?  Answer - 9-1/2.

I decided I wanted to make a pieced back for this quilt to use up the rest of my Kumari Garden fabrics.

So I came up with this for this middle of the backing...
When I realized I didn't have enough of the leftover blue Quilter's Linen for the rest of the back, I got the number from the selvedge and proceeded to order another 3 yards.  I like this fabric alot and wanted to be able to use it in another quilt so I figured I'd get a bunch. 

So, I order it and this is what came....
 Looks right, doesn't it?  Nope, not so much.  In fact not even close!  Although the first 4 digits of the fabric number was right, apparently all of the Quilter's Linen blues have the same first 4 digits, but there is a 2 digit code after that is not on the selvedge.  I thought about sending it back, but it's a pretty nice blue so I'm sure I'll use so I decided to keep it.

So, back I go to the internet to search for the blue I need.  Ah, there's another blue, so I order 3 yards of it figuring it has to be right.
Waaaaay off.  Really?  I can't believe this!  I finally figured out that I must have originally ordered Aqua, not blue (because there were no other blues).  So, I nervously ordered a half yard of Aqua...
Bingo!  That was it!  But I only ordered 1/2 yard and it wasn't near enough to finish the whole back.  Luckily, this time I kept the receipt and just went and ordered 3 more yards.  And now I'm done.  And I have enough blue Quilter's Linen to last me for awhile.

6 comments:

Linda said...

Looks like your all set with blue! Lol! You live and learn.

Darlene said...

Some wonderful blues in the mix. I'm so glad to know that I'm not the only one that does this type of thing. :-)

charlotte said...

I've done this too and it is frustrating, but bonus....more fabric for later!

Gretchen said...

I expect to see many many quilts with a lot of blue in them.

Sandy said...

That is too funny! Of course it isn't if you are the one buying all of that blue...pretty shades though.

Ivory Spring said...

Been there, done that... ;)