Saturday, July 28, 2012

Oops, I Did It Again...


Sometimes I just can't resist starting something new.  I know I really should get started on my brother's wedding quilt...but two of these layer cakes that have been sitting on my shelf for a long time caught my eye last week...
Sultry by Basic Gray
I've been saving them to make this quilt...

Short Story from Schnibbles x Two
I thought I needed a quick quilt for someone who did me a big favor so took the opportunity to start this quilt (it does not take much of an excuse-LOL), but I wound up giving something else.  But I had started the quilt and I really, really love this fabric so I'm going to keep going.  Besides, these blocks are so much fun to make!

First, I realized I needed a new ruler.  I couldn't believe, among the umpty-zillion ones I have, I didn't have either of designer Carrie Nelson's suggested rulers - either an Omnigrid Quarter Square Triangle Ruler or the EZ Companion Angle.  So, I made a quick purchase of the Omnigrid (no real reason why I chose one over the other - maybe because the Omnigrid can make 12" blocks and the EZ only 10") and I was ready to go.

I cut my strips...
I think the fabric in this line is so pretty...
Then, after sewing the strips together, I used my handy-dandy new ruler to cut the wedges...

And you put them together like this..
Cool block, huh?  Then you trim it down to the perfect size after it's sewn together - I love that!

This is the fabric I got for the back from the clearance section of Fabric.com...
I'm definitely keeping this one for me!

**************

We're back in business with this Blogger thing.  Thanks, friends, for cluing me in to the fact that Blogger doesn't like Firefox.  I'm using Google Chrome for writing posts and it's working fine.

7 comments:

Karin said...

ohhh, and it looks like with the scraps you can make some HST's too :)

Gretchen said...

I use Firefox with Blogger on my Mac all the time and don't have problems. Should I feel left out?

Diane said...

oh love how Short Story blocks go together.very cool.

Karen said...

That's interesting to see how it works. Thanks for the demo. This is a lovely quilt. I can see how you were distracted.

Becky M said...

I have the same layer cake in the bottom of my drawer! I need to come up with the perfect project for it too. I love the short story schnibbles, that is going to be gorgeous. Love the backing fabric you got.

Lynn said...

I'm going to be making the Roundabout quilt from that book.
It has lots of cute patterns!

Tracey Holzer said...

Hi there! I just finished this quilt and used Eva by Basic Grey. I used fat quarters though and made myself a template from a cereal box. I ended up making mine a large queen finishing at 98x96. Take a look at my blog if you get a chance.