Saturday, July 14, 2012

Not What I Had in Mind for the Weekend...

I was going to be sewing all day...hubby was going to make a wonderful meal of braised short ribs and we were going to have it with a nice bottle of wine and watch a movie tonight.

Instead, hubby went and had a heart attack this morning.  Luckily, they caught it in time and he's doing fine.  We went right to the ER this morning when he came in early from his Saturday flea marketing and said he was having bad chest pains and his right arm was tingling...classic, right?  Except he's been having chest pains when he exerts himself for the past two months and we were told it was just pleursy due to allergies.   Um, wrong diagnosis.  We didn't think much of it since Ken's only 56 and has no history in his family of heart disease.  Now we know, chest pains are nothing to fool around with at any age.  So, they put 3 stents in his one artery which was 99% blocks (the culprit today) and he'll get some more on Monday in another one that's blocked 70%.  I'm thinking Ken's going to need to change his diet (I'm sure the breakfast sandwich with sausage, egg and cheese on a croissant this morning didn't help).

So, I'm home alone tonight, really wishing we were sitting down to our lovely dinner, but at least we'll have the opportunity for MORE lovely dinners now.

We returned last week from our short trip to visit my Dad in his new digs in NC.  They have a little piece of paradise there in the middle of nowhere....
It pretty much looks like this everywhere you can see...


But, it's a looonnngggg drive.  We left on Monday afternoon and were making great time.  Hubby says "I think we can drive straight through" and by Roanoke, he's re-thing that - LOL.  So, we decided to stop at a nice Ramada Inn.  We walk in (and believe me, folks, this is par for the course with us) the woman says "honey, you won't find a hotel room open for miles around".  Apparently, we were the only ones who didn't know that part of VA had been without power for days and it wasn't expected to be back on for days yet.  She probably wondered what rock we crawled out from under.  So, we drive and drive and drive some more and found the Ramada in Wytheville, VA had a room.  You know what else Wytheville, VA has?
Score!!  Hubby saw that Sew What Fabrics/Batiks Etcetera was in town and we hung around until 10am on Tuesday so I could do a little shopping.  What a fantastic store!  I know they do a big on-line business too.  I could have gone crazy, but only walked away with this lovely FQ bundle of Hometown by Sweetwater...

Stopping at the quilt shop made me a lot more amenable to stopping at the AAF Tank & War Memorial Museum in Danville, VA on the way home!

And you know all of those hexies I was going to make while we were gone.  How many did I make?
That would be a big fat ZERO!

19 comments:

Bobbi said...

I'm glad it turned out ok for him and actually you were lucky you were home and not still visiting away!

The hexies look wonderful, and I cannot look at the pix of your dad's place because I'll faint with envy.

Bobbi

Karen said...

What a scare that must have been for both of you. I am so pleased you were quick thinking and went right off to hospital. It is good to know that Ken is okay and that the treatment is successful. Looks like a few changes ahead for you both.
Good luck!

Linda at Roscoe's Ma said...

Oh Denise. Best wishes for your hubby (and you). I bet he feels a lot better after this stent thing is over. Your Dad's place is so cute! Beautiful. Hang in there and take care!

Lesley said...

Sending prayers and positive thoughts...sounds like you live close to a hospital...thank goodness you followed your gut instincts...take care ...

Luanne said...

Wow - glad the hubs is okay - will keep you both in my thoughts and prayers!

charlotte said...

Oh, Denise, how scary. Glad it all is better now. I hope you won't be at home alone for too long. Speedy recovery to Ken. And see, NC has some pretty scenery doesn't it? Take care.

Gretchen said...

What a day you had yesterday! Praying for your hubby's speedy and thorough recovery.

Treat yourself to something very relaxing, since in many ways this was harder on you than it was on him. And kudos to him for not trying to macho it out!

Candi said...

Oh I so glad he's ok!!! That must have been incredibly scary for both of you.

Nicole said...

What a scare! I hope his recovery is quick and uneventful. How lovely your father's property is.

Susie Q said...

Denise, I am so glad your Hubby is okay and will be well looked after in hospital. These things are always more scarey for the person not going through it. I hope he comes home soon for that meal. Your dad's new home looks lovely and your little shopping trip was a success great fabric. Thinking of you both. Susie x

Susan said...

Oh my goodness...I'm glad it was caught in time and that your husband is on the road to recovery! Wishing you both well!

Kate said...

So glad your guy is doing OK. What a scare! Hope he's home with you soon.

Anna said...

Oh my word!! So glad to hear that Ken is okay. NC looks amazing, as do the hexies!

Diane said...

How scary for you both-change in diet and exercise is a must-I wish you good luck there-changing our lifestyles for health reasons is difficult, especially after the shock wears off and life gets back to normal!
Your dad's place is drop dead fantastic! How wonderful that he is 'living the dream' many of us have but most of us don't get to realize!
hugs,
Diane

Ivory Spring said...

Yeeesh - you had quite a scare! I hope your dear husband is recovering nicely.

Hugs.

Sinta Renee said...

It looks like you have more than a dozen more than you had! I love the cabin. I could move in there and be very happy!

creativedawn said...

Wishing your hubby is home now working toward a full recovery. Virginia is my home state...very beautiful there. I grew up in Staunton, VA. Your Dad's little oasis is gorgeous!

hugzzzz for you

Lynn said...

Oh my! I'm so glad he didn't ignore the signs and got help quickly. How scary!

Susan said...

Denise, I have been thinking about you and your husband all month (sorry I didn't post a comment sooner!). So glad that he got help quickly. Hope he's recovering well.