Friday, October 28, 2011

Blogger's Quilt Festival

For this Blogger's Quilt Festival (hosted by Amy's Creative Side - thanks Amy!), may I present...

Gray Rosegarden
This is one my favorite quilts, made back in 2007.  I was whizzing past some booths at the NJ Quilt Festival that year and saw these fabrics and did a double take and turned back.  Then I saw the quilt that went with the fabric - the man who ran the booth with his wife had designed the quilt (I was very impressed with him!).  (Unfortunately, I don't remember now what the name of their business is)  But, I scooped up the fabric and pattern immediately. 

So simple - just alternating snowball blocks and nine patches and two different fabrics, but in person the quilt almost glows.  I display this quilt in my living room during the winter months.

When it came to quilting it, I didn't want to ruin the effect of the fabrics by choosing the wrong color thread, so decided to go with a monofilment in smoke for the front and gray cotton for the back. Good thing you can see the quilting on the back because you certainly can't see it from the front! After all the custom work I did on this it doesn't even look like it's quilted until you turn it over!
As you can see, I did some feather medallions with a stipple in the middle and for the smaller medallions, I used a flower ruler to stitch around and then filled it with more stippling.
For the borders, I just did this scroll-type quilting.
It's almost time to put this one out again!

There are lots of links to some greats quilts in the Blogger's Quilt Festival over at Amy's place - click here!

21 comments:

Issabella The Cat said...

That rose fabric is to die for, I can see why you turned back for it!

notes of sincerity said...

Beautifully done. I love the simplicity of the two fabrics and the two blocks!

Ivory Spring said...

Oh I love this - the colors are so rich!!!

Mary said...

Great story to go with your Winter time Quilt! It could stay out all year! I love your quilting on it.

Becky said...

oooh, very pretty! I love the colors and you did a great job with the quilting.

Linda said...

Gorgeous!!!! What a striking quilt! LOVE the fabric. I totally understand what you mean about the thread. Thread can make a big impact if it's the wrong shade. Thanks for sharing! :-)

Gretchen said...

Denise, I love your quilting on this quilt! And it certainly would brighten a room in the winter!

Kathy said...

What a pretty rose themed quilt. Your quilting is wonderful too.

Linda at Roscoe's Ma said...

This is beautiful! It DOES glow. Wow.

Karen said...

Hi Denise. Great to see you at the Quilt festival.
Love this quilt! What a great combination of the snowball and 9 patch blocks. Lovely fabrics. Gorgeous colour on the back and I do like the quilting.

Kate said...

Very pretty. Love the rose and the dark gray together. The quilting is gorgeous too.

Ivory Spring said...

Denis,

My response to you was bounced back from yahoo... :( Anyway, this is what I had sent:

"Hi Denise,

Thanks for your kind words! :)

We are either getting snow or rain today.... it's been raining on and off since last night. I told Jason I will take the rain any day over the snow. It is too early for snow - you are absolutely right about that! I am sewing too since Jason is at work.

Happy Sewing to you - I hope you get lots done.

Hugs,
WS "

Kit Lang said...

thanks for letting us stop to smell your roses. :)

Eileen said...

What a gorgeous quilt! Love that material and colors and your quilting is so pretty. Thanks so much for sharing and have a great day

Sarcastic Quilter said...

It's beautiful and I love it when sometimes you have to look close to see the quilting and you get such a pretty surprise.

Katie said...

It's beautiful! It really catches your eye, but when I looked closely and realized how simple the pattern is, it made me smile. Sometimes simpler is better! And the quilting...amazing!

Candi said...

Denise - this is so pretty and I love how you quilted it!

Lisa at Sun Naturals said...

Lovely quilt and your quilting on this is beautiful..thank you for sharing it with us :-)

Marg said...

A beautiful simple design that really showcases the focus fabric. It would certainly brighten up any dull winter day. Your quilting is beautiful too.

Maureen T. said...

What beautiful fabric! Your quilt is great!

Martha said...

You quilt is stunning...I so enjoyed seeing it. Thanks for sharing.