Saturday, September 3, 2011

It's Like Pulling Teeth...

So, this great fabric I found for the back of the red & white quilt arrived on Thursday...
It was very beautiful, but it was also .... cotton duck!!  Waaaayyy too heavy for a quilt back.  Guess I didn't read the description of the fabric very well when I ordered it.  My super-detailed paralegal skills were not engaged when buying this fabric.  With no time to order anything else, I had to find something  that would work from an LQS. (and of course I found an even better fabric from Thousands of Bolts this morning, which I had not checked earlier, which was cheap, cheap, cheap but could not spare the time it would take to arrive and I'm still kicking myself - why, oh why, didn't I check there first???).  So since we got out of work a half a day early on Friday because of the holiday, I scooted on up to a nearby quilt shop and found this....

Not quite what I had in mind, but it was the best they had and it would work.  It is kind of cool - a Monaluna print by Robert Kaufman.  Unfortunately, traffic was T.E.R.R.I.B.L.E. on Friday afternoon and it took forever to get to the shop.  But I got my three yards and starting cutting and piecing it for the back when I got home.  Seems my math skills were lacking also.  I needed another 2.5 yards.  Where in the heck was MY head when I was figuring yardage for the back of a 72" x 72" quilt?  I was so annoyed with myself (more so because of another fabric issue I had this week, which is the subject of my next post).  So, instead of spending the entire day quilting this quilt, I had to make another trip to the LQS this morning to get another 2.5 yards (where a really cute pattern for fall wallhangings jumped in my cart - show you later!). 

I finally got the back ready and on the frame by 3pm this afternoon and got about 6 rows of quilting done (this quilt must be done by next Saturday  remember - quilted and bound!)

I'm using the Curlz pantograph with white thread.  It's looking good!
Now, I'm wondering if I bind this in the leftover Monaluna or a solid red????

This week, getting enough fabric for finishing projects has been like pulling teeth! 

4 comments:

Lynn said...

I've had projects like that too. First I cut the batting too small then cut a whole in the backing. Yikes! I wonder where my brain is sometimes. The Curlz panto is really nice though. I think it will look fabulous despite the backing trials and tribulations.

Karen said...

Oh, no! And why does this always happen when you are the busiest and have a deadline? At least now the end is in sight. Love the quilting and good luck with the final binding.

Becky said...

LOL, I've been there. You are way more devoted than me though. I would have found something in my stash to piece together. I'm way to lazy to go to the lqs 2x's in a few days! The quilt is looking really good though.

Darlene said...

Mama said there'd be days like this - my mama said! LOL Mama is always right.

It's a beautiful quilt and will be loved and enjoyed.