Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Show & Tell Tuesdays - a Winter Wallhanging

This wall hanging was supposed to be finished a year ago.....
Last year I saw this winter wallhanging in this issue of The Quilt Life and thought it would be a perfect wall hanging for my daughter-in-law for her birthday.

I gathered the bits and pieces needed from around the internet (sparkly flannel, silvery threads, silver and iridescent large rick rack).  Some of those things were hard to find!  And, then everything sat...until early January 2014.  Since DIL's B-day is February 4th, I needed to get a move on - and so I did and finished by the big day.  All of the fabrics came from stash.

This quilt required a lot of fiddely work.  Most was fun.  Some was not.  Couching many lines of silvery thread was fun...for the first 5.  Then it was just boring.  Luckily, it came out nicely.
Cutting out the snowflakes from the sparkly felt...big huge pain in the butt....but they look nice!
Hand sewing sequins and beads - tons of fun.  I really enjoyed that part! Aren't these little silver snowflake sequins adorable??
More sequins and beads on the large rick rack...
And, I was so glad (NOT!) the weather cooperated so I could photograph the winter wallhanging on snow...
All the work was worth it because my daughter-in-law was thrilled with her gift.  I have enough of the bits and pieces to make another....and after the pain subsides I might just do that.  Next year.

I'm linking up again with Randi for Show & Tell Tuesdays.

5 comments:

Becky (My Fabric Obsession) said...

haha, 'once the pain subsides'. It did turn out just gorgeous. It looks much prettier than the snow it sits on.

Sarah Lizzie said...

Your wall hanging is so lovely. I must say that the snow is the perfect backdrop for your gorgeous wall hanging!!

Linda in Calif. said...

Adorable! Those kind of projects are a nice change from sewing blocks together. I've sewed some Christmas stocking using beads,sequins etc and they are so pretty when finished.

charlotte said...

Beautiful! A finish always feels good.

Karen said...

It is a lovely wall hanging. Lots of work but worth it. It looks great.