Friday, August 31, 2012

Schnibbles - August

We're eight months into Another Year of  Schnibbles, hosted by Sinta and Sherri, and I'm still going strong!

August's Schnibbles pattern was Dimestore.  I chose to make Dimestore hot pads.  I took the main block and made two...
I used my leftover Breath of Avignon from Moda charm squares to make these.   I did them "controlled scrappy" and thought they turned out very cute!

One with a mostly green border...
And one mostly blue...
I only did minimal quilting - just quilted around the middle block to hold it together.

I'll use these when serving yummy meals like this, which was last Sunday night's dinner...

An appetizer of Bruschetta made with fresh tomatoes given to me by my awesome boss...

The main dish was Vinegar Glossed Chicken - it may sound strange, but it is incredibly delicious.  I served the chicken with some steamed broccoli and my go-to rice dish (see below).  Everyone ate seconds!  I love Sunday dinner with the family.
Everyone seems to love this rice dish.  It is a staple in my house.  I like it because it's a little more jazzy that just plain white rice, but doesn't conflict with other flavors in the meal.  I cook up as much rice as desired, then saute with olive olive and garlic.  I add in some parsley, kosher salt and pepper. Yum!
 
Back to AYOS - you can see the parade of Dimestores tomorrow on Sinta and Sherri's blogs!

7 comments:

Becky (My Fabric Obsession) said...

They look good! And so does dinner. Mmmm ...

FarahLin said...

They're pretty!

Lynn said...

Very cute blocks! And the rice recipe sounds yummy! I'm going to try that one.

Kate said...

Very pretty!

Karen said...

Love those hot pads. Great use of that fabric!

Diane said...

the hotpads are too cute-love little projects like that. The food looks delicious, even at 9:30am!!

Michele said...

Hot pads! What a great idea :-) I love your controlled scrappiness. Beautiful! That meal looks yummy too :-)