Saturday, April 9, 2011

The Week in Review

I spent my quilting time this week trying to get some things finished up so I could devote the weekend to the Carnival wallhanging.  Well, that didn't happen today (due to a flood in our downstairs having something to do with a new washing machine - I'm still traumatized from all the cleanup today, so I don't want to talk about it anymore!  Linda, if you're reading this - yes, again!!)

Some of the this and that I got done this week....

First of all, I got the middle of my Seaside Cotillion finished (thank goodness!).  While very pretty, this is quite the tedious quilt...



But, at least the middle is done.  There is some applique on the border, but it doesn't look too difficult.  But, for now, it's back in the box, while I finish some deadline pieces.

I also got the top of my daughter-in-law's Spring wallhanging done.  I was going to do a large one-block Dresden plate.  I pulled out a bag of Spring-y scraps to find fabrics for the Dresden and found a beautiful panel of butterflies and a pansy.  Just enough, with some coordinating scraps, to do this...

Very sweet, and I used up some scraps!

I found a my stash of batik blocks of the month that have been sitting in a basket for a few years that I completely forgot about.  I promised myself to do one pack a week and I've stuck to it.  I think I've got 5 "months" done now...here's a sampling...

Each set of three blocks takes about two hours to complete - from cutting to finishing.

I also am apparently still on my "winning streak".  Last week I won Sarah's (of Stash Resolution - a wonderful podcast and blog) giveaway of a 6 fat quarter set of the new Kumari Garden...
Lovely!  I think I'll have to buy some yardage from Sarah's on-line shop, Swell Cloth, to go with this set.  Thanks Sarah!

Last night was the Cherri House lecture sponsored by the Philly Modern Quilt Guild.  Of course I picked up my very own signed copy of Cherri's book, City Quilts.  What a wonderful lecture. Cherri was funny and moving and informative.  The photos of the quilts are great, but nothing like seeing them in person and hearing the stories behind them.  I don't use solids much, but I learned some great tips for working with them from Cherri and I'm intrigued.  We had a great turnout and I thoroughly enjoyed myself.

So, that was my week.  Hopefully, I can devote most of tomorrow to working on Carnival...I'm itching to start this quilt!

6 comments:

Karen said...

Hi Denise.
I am so sorry to hear about the flood from the washing machine. Unfortunately most of us know this experience and can sympathise with you. Good luck with the drying process.
Love the work you have been doing with your sewing. The seaside quilt does look lovely but I can see where it will be time consuming. Also love the way the Spring wallhanging looks.
I can also see why the Carnival quilt has caught your eye. Good luck with getting started on that this week.

Thelma said...

I can hardly wait to see Seaside Cotillion all wrapped up, I can't believe it's back in the project box! I"m so sorry about the flooding problem, hope things are better by today.

Ivory Spring said...

Oh my, you have been busy! Love all your projects. So sorry to hear about the flood.... *hugs*

Pam said...

I love the subtlety of the Seaside quilt - I'm quite drawn to those colors recently.

Linda said...

Flooding is the worst! Oh, I know! I love your Seaside quilt! It's beautiful!

Gamma said...

I just finished Seaside Cotillion today and it's off to the quilter tomorrow. Definitely not one of those "I can get that done in no time" quilts, but so pretty. It was fun to see someone else making it too :)