Friday, April 29, 2011

A Royal Sewing Day

Is someone getting married today?????

I'll admit to being an Anglophile from an early age (hey, I even married a Brit - no, that's not why I married him but it didn't hurt - LOL!)  So of course, I was front and center (in front of my TV that is) this morning for the Royal Wedding.  What fun!  Although I did timeshift my viewing with my DVR by a couple of hours!

I've watched all the royals weddings televised during my lifetime, I sadly watched Princess Diana's funeral and we happened to be in London for the Queen Mother's funeral.  It was so nice to see such a happy occasion for a few hours this morning.


I spent last night preparing....

Of course, I needed some tea sandwiches - cucumber and egg salad...

And my favorite scones....
Of course, I'm using this day off to sew while I watch....
I'm working on this, but it's still kind of a secret so this is all I'll show for now...

And if I don't start on this it won't be ready for Mother's Day....
So, this has been a lovely day off so far...


[yes, I have a tiara - long story]


Long life and happiness to the Newlyweds!  Maybe I should have made them a quilt?!

-----------------------
My very favorite and very easy scone recipe:
2 cups flour
1 tbls baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup dried fruit or chocolate chips (optional)
1-1/4 cup heavy cream

Glaze - melted butter, 2 tbsp sugar

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Use ungreased baking sheet.  Combined first four ingredients and stir until mixed well.  Stir in dried fruit or chips if using.  Stir in heavy cream and mix until dough holds together in a rough mass.  Transfer dough to a lightly floured surface.  Knead 8-9 times (or do it in a stand mixer on slow speed).  Pat into 10" circle - cut into wedges or roll dough and cut into circle.  Brush melted butter on top of scones and sprinkle with some sugar.  Bake 12-15 minutes until brown.  Yummy!

5 comments:

Anna said...

Yummy, Denise! Thanks for sharing the recipe...I'll have to give that a try.

Becky said...

I was watching the wedding attentively too! It was so nice to see something happy on the tv and especially on the news!
btw - I'm doing a similar project with my charm pack challenge!! I've got my little twister out too. Great minds think alike!

Pat said...

Oh those scones look divine!!! While you are munching on them, check my blog for directions on how to create your very own royal appellation.

Cordialy,
Lady Beatrice Anthony-Chelten

Luanne said...

So I had Diet Dr. Pepper and chocolate ice cream bars. Clearly I know nothing about how to prepare for a royal wedding!!

Ivory Spring said...

What a fun post, Denise. I hadn't known your husband is British. :)