Saturday, April 30, 2011

Le Petite and Pillow Talk

It's the last day of the month and I almost forgot to post my Le Petite project.  This is the first time I've been able to participate in Le Petite.  Since I had the charm packs and the pattern already, when I read on Sinta and Sherri's blogs that April's Le Petite was Brocante, I was in!  I had hoped to get it quilted by the end of April, but at least the top is done...
 It was pretty easy to put together, except for having to do the flying geese around the border the "old fashioned" way.  Ugh.  I really, really like my Quilt-in-a-Day flying geese rulers and I wish they worked for every size.  But these geese were a really weird size, plus I was using charm packs, so it just wasn't going to happen.
Our Philly Modern Quilt Guild challenge for April was a pillow swap.  I found a photo of a great pillow design somewhere on the internet and decided to recreate it.  This was my offering:
 [thanks for the photo Andrew!]


At the meeting we had a show and tell of the pillows (see them all here).  Honestly, they were all fabulous, some with zippers and fancy piping and ruffles - I would have loved to have "won" any one of them (and I felt very "amateur" after seeing them - LOL!).  I won this beauty from Candi (the photo does not do it justice):

 Our next swap (for June) is pincushions - and I've already got something in mind!

Another recipe - we had this for dinner last night and it was so good I just have to share.  I wanted to keep the British theme going through dinner and since we had steak the night before I didn't want to do red meat.  So I hunted around for some British chicken recipes and came across this Chicken with Tarragon Mayonnaise.  I didn't have high hopes when I started out - the recipe it looked like it was going to basically be boiled chicken.  I was skeptical, but I was very pleasantly surprised.  I think they might have meant it to be served cold, but I didn't.  I just took the chicken from the saute pan when it was done, reduced the marinade and mixed it into the mayo mixture and poured it all over the chicken.  I served it with buttered rice and brussels sprouts.  I'll be making this again soon!


Recipe courtesy of All British Food website


It is important to use fresh tarragon in this dish: dried tarragon is a poor substitute.

SERVES 6

6 chicken breast fillets, skinned
2 celery sticks, trimmed and sliced
200 ml (7 fl oz) dry white wine
30 ml (2 tbsp) chopped fresh tarragon
salt and pepper
300 ml (1/2 pint) lemon mayonnaise
fresh tarragon sprigs, to garnish

1. Put the chicken breasts in a large frying pan. Add the celery, wine, tarragon, salt and pepper. Cover and simmer for 20 - 30 minutes until tender. Leave to cool.

2. When cool, strain the juices into a pan and boil rapidly until reduced to 90 ml (6 tbsp) . Leave to cool.

3. Arrange the chicken on a serving plate. Stir the reduced marinade into the mayonnaise and spoon over the chicken.

4. Serve, garnished with tarragon.

2 comments:

Linda said...

Love your version of Brocante!! I'm so glad you joined. Still working on mine. I just couldn't make the deadline. Your pillow is fabulous!!

Corrie said...

Congrats on finishing! Very pretty.