Friday, October 25, 2013

Blogger's Quilt Festival Fall 2013


AmysCreativeSide
..

My entry for this Fall's Blogger's Quilt Festival is a quilt I made to donate to the Wounded Warriors charity event my son & DIL hosted earlier this year.  I am entering it into the Throw Quilt category. This was a very special event and I wanted to make a very special quilt to be auctioned to raise funds for this cause.  My DIL's uncle passed away earlier this year on a dive trip to support the Wounded Warrior Project.  He was very involved in helping to raise money to send vets and their families on the Wounded Warriors Cruises and my kids wanted to honor that.

I chose Elizabeth Hartman's Marmalade pattern...
I had such fun making this quilt and I will definitely make more.  Elizabeth's instructions were great and, while it looks more complicated, it was very easy to put together!  I pulled all of the scraps to make the strippy diamonds from my stash.  Since this was such a modern design, I went modern with the quilting...

And I found the perfect print for the backing, incorporating the grass greens and teal blues....
I wasn't sure how a modern quilt would go over at the event, but I heard it drew a lot of interest.  And, I was thrilled to find out that my DIL's sister fell in love with the quilt and was the highest bidder and took the quilt home (in fact she told me she bundled up in the quilt to sleep that night!)
Please visit the Blogger's Quilt Festival at Amy's Creative Side to see all of the other entries!

14 comments:

Charlotte said...

fantastic colours - a really lovely quilt! Enjoy the festival :-)

Sherri @ RebeccaMaeDesigns.com said...

Great quilt for a great cause!

CitricSugar said...

Beautiful colours choices! I always think that quilts are such a lovely way to honour someone - and I love that your DIL ended up with it in the end.

Anna said...

It is gorgeous, Denise!

charlotte said...

Such a beauty Denise. Great story too.

Candace said...

Beautiful colors and design. Very fresh looking.

Diane said...

great quilt and love the quilting too!

Gretchen said...

So fresh and modern looking! I love the quilting; it is so appropriate for this quilt!

Cille said...

I like the colors -very fresh and vibrant.

Kate said...

Beautifully done. Great use of color. It's very "fresh" looking. Isn't it nice when a quilt goes to a good home and helps someone else in the process?

Karen said...

This is a stunning quilt. I love the colours and design you used. I am so pleased it went to someone who really appreciated it.

Kymberly said...

Wonderful quilt. So glad to hear that it found a good home where it will be well loved.

LynCC said...

OK, this is cool :) Especially when I read its story - when I first saw it in the link-up, the first impression my mind got was spirits of light near a door with one going through. It's really very striking.

Becky (My Fabric Obsession) said...

I love this quilt! It jumped out at me from the bloggers quilt fest and then I was excited to see that it was yours! LOL