Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Show & Tell Tuesdays - Pink Elephant Houndstooth

IMG_6373
Randi from the I Have to Say blog and Fresh Squeezed Fabrics owner is starting a Show and Tell Tuesday link up.  I'm apparently on the linky bandwagon now, because I'm joining this one too - LOL!  All in an effort to have more blog fodder.  Thanks, Randi, for hosting this!
 
So, for my first Show & Tell, I present my efforts at making a Houndstooth quilt.  I purchased this pattern from V & Co. months ago...

The, I spotted some fabrics with the cutest little elephants on them and decided to buy them in pink and gray, with coordinating "reads as solids" for the alternate fabrics, to make a girl Baby Elephant Houndstooth quilt and a boy version.  I had an idea in my head.  Unfortunately, it didn't translate all that well, at least in the pink version.  But, it is what it is as as the quilt was mostly put together when I realized my contrast left a lot to be desired.
 
The pattern uses the Creative Grids Quarter Square Triangle Ruler.  You cut your strips and sew them together to make a tube.  Then, take this handy dandy ruler and cut up and down...

And get these triangle which open up into strip squares - easy peasy and fun! 
So, here we have the four patch blocks and I'm thinking they're looking pretty good....
Until you get it all together, then it's just a big pink blob....sigh....
Looks a little better in this photo....but looks can be deceiving...
Oh well, I thought it would work.  Hopefully, the gray colorway will have more contrast.  The binding's made and it's in the midst of being quilted.  I think the baby will like it just fine!


You can check out lots of other Show & Tell posts on Randi's blog!

**************
And, just because it's yummy......


And now, since I have my own stash of New Leaf, I can throw away the itty bitty scraps I picked out of the trash (oh, yes I did!) when my friend Becky was over for a sew day when she was working with these fabrics.  I've had them pinned to my bulletin board in my sewing room so I could drool over them ever since.  And that, my friends, is the sign of a true quilt geek. o:)

5 comments:

Dee said...

What a sweet little blanket! That looks like a hard pattern, but you've pulled it off!

Your eye candy is very yummy and worth dumpster diving for!

charlotte said...

Hey Denise. I bought that pattern too. Haven't gotten to it yet. Do you have to have that ruler to make it? Can't wait to see the other one! I will remember "high contrast".

Becky (My Fabric Obsession) said...

That is such a disappointment. If you are feeling highly motivated you could quilt in some contrast!
LOL at your confession of trash picking my scraps! Love your stack of new leaf though. :)

randi--i have to say said...

I wonder if the pattern will show up more when it's quilted? Hopefully you will post an update!

It really is pretty!

Diane said...

oh I keep thinking about that pattern...The baby will just love the quilt. I try to stay out of the waste basket but have been known to say 'oh wait I think that could still be used in something'... I try to control it tho'.
I love the term 'quilt geek'